Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W older model 17 measure cylinder/barrel gap at forcing cone (.006) good?

mikeAZ

Who makes moonclips for .22 rimfire? The .006 is just the right amount of cylinder gap for shooting lead or lead and jacketed. You can have a bit less if only shooting jacketed, and keep endshake to a minimum.

For dirty 22 lr I agree with the others a healthy gap is not a bad thing.  It's been a very long time since I owned a 22lr revolver. Worked on a few triggers but since I was a young teen have not owned or shot one heavily.

Never heard of moon clips for 22lr though...ever.  As no extractor groove not sure.  I guess it can be done as there could be enough tension as its such a light tiny case..maybe??.  Cut with enough tension  polymer to snap in the case push it flush to the rim.  But given the crushed edge to ignite primer and the recessed chambers.  The machine cut and mooinclip thickness would need to be precise, I would think?  Just spitballing as I never considered it.  Would think speedloader make much more since as on top of all the issues very few reasons to keep 22empties unless your making  bullet jackets out of them etc.

Cyl gap, hold cyl rearward to breech and slide feeler guage between cyl and cone.