Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate optic hold zero after switching from iron sights?

jimmaki

Hello, new here.  Just purchased a used Czechmate.  Just got back from the range for the first test firing and to zero the optic.  Love this gun!

I was wondering how well the C-more optic holds zero when coverting the gun from Open to Limited and back again.  Those three countersunk screws (self centering) holding on the optic bracket look like they'd pretty much get the bracket back on exactly where it was.  Do you Czechmate owners who have switched back and forth find this to be true?

Also, controls seems to be pretty crowded on the left side for righty's ... hard getting by the slide rack handle and oversized thumb safety to get to the slide lock release?  I almost wish the left safety were smaller and the right side were bigger (i.e., switch what's on there now side to side) and work the safety with my trigger finger on the way to the trigger as I acquire the red dot.  Another thought was to switch the slide rack handle over to the right side, although it doesn't seem as much in the way the rocker safety  I wish it were further back like the 1911..

Any other tips on this amazing gun would be appreciated.  At first I was disappointed to find no barrel busheng, but the cone setup on the back of the comp and front sight piece seem to lock it up fine.

Edited by jimmaki

My friend has a Czechmate like yours.  His problem is neither of the two barrels shoot to the same POI.  I don't know if it was a fitting problem or a problem with the sights.  He gave up and now shoots it as an Open gun only.  I can also tell you from experience it is hard going back and forth between irons and dots.  You end up playing find the sight/dot for a while until you get used to the new setup.

I can't really speak to how well the mount holds zero, I don't ever switch back and forth and the only time I've taken it off is to mount a different optic.

With respect to the crowded controls, the factory slide racker is meant to be run on the right side, as you found out. There are plenty of aftermarket options for angled or curved rackers that work well on the left side for the Czechmate (I use a Shooter's Connection Sidewinder). Most folks run the pins that come in the case instead of the slide stop, which frees up some space on the side. There are extended safety options from CZC as well if you want to change up the safety configuration. 

Yep, I'm coming to the same conclusion, just stick with Open.  The Czechmate 9mm is at a disadvantage in Limited since the caliber doesn't qualify for Major PF no matter how heavy or fast it goes.

Put 100 rounds through the Czechmate today and am already getting used to the big C-More red dot, especially on such a flat shooting gun!  I don't think the dot ever left the glass or if it did, it came right back in the center.  The muzzle actually dips a little until the slide hits the stop and then it comes up about the same amount.

1 hour ago, regor said:

I can't really speak to how well the mount holds zero, I don't ever switch back and forth and the only time I've taken it off is to mount a different optic.

With respect to the crowded controls, the factory slide racker is meant to be run on the right side, as you found out. There are plenty of aftermarket options for angled or curved rackers that work well on the left side for the Czechmate (I use a Shooter's Connection Sidewinder). Most folks run the pins that come in the case instead of the slide stop, which frees up some space on the side. There are extended safety options from CZC as well if you want to change up the safety configuration. 

So the pins in the box prevent the slide from locking back on an empty mag?  You mean I have to learn to count to 28 during a match course?

The slide lock comes in handy for taking off the racker before removing the slide for cleaning.  Oh wait!  If I put the racker on the right side I won't need to take it off to slide the slide forward and off.  DUH! 

I'm not too fond of the clugey bent paper clip in the recoil rod to disassemble the barrel from the slide.  What were they thinking?  I guess it's really not any worse than the rotate the bushing acrobatics taking down a 1911 barrel or harder yet, reassembling one.

Edited by jimmaki