Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Support hand grip - S2/SP01

Stafford

Anyone who has a clue about a proper grip uses a high support hand/thumb fwd grip.  Very few people can successfully mimic the exact way that Bob Vogel does it because of hand size and strength.

The way Bob Vogel uses his support hand is a sure way for me to get tendonitis.  You don't need to do it Bob Vogel's way to be successful.  Ben Stoger's left hand on the gun looks nothing like Vogel's.

The left thumb needs to do nothing except lay passively alongside the frame.  There is zero strength in a thumb to manage recoil.  Recoil management comes from grip strength/surface friction on the front and back straps to keep the pistol from sliding around in your hand and most importantly from locking the wrists which comes from pronating them and engaging forearm muscles.

Gas pedals are dumb gimmicks

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I have a forward thumb grip on my S1 (Target II),  S2 and CZ 75 Compact (SDP).  All models have slide catches with the thumb grip built in.  The S2 slide catch also fits the CZ 75 compact.  The Czechmate has a thumb grip that attaches to the red dot platform.  As an elderly shooter I find the thumb grips are a must for accuracy, especially for lighter pistols like the VP9, Sig P229 and M and P S and W.