Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Striker pin wiggle room in assembly in P320

yekcoh

This should probably be in gunsmithing but since it's P320 exclusive, I will try my luck here...

I've been trying to do my own trigger job.

Kept it simple stupid, shaved sear down and shortened reset with set screw in trigger show.

It's been semi successful. What I have noticed during my trigger job is that the trigger pin has so much wiggle room inside the pin assembly-like a hot dog down a hallway-that when 

I pull the trigger, the pin actually gets dragged down vertically slightly before it is released. 

Is this by design? Is this extra wiggle room there to prevent accidental discharge from dropping the gun?

The extra wiggle room causes the trigger break to be not as crispy as it could and the reset is not as short as I'd like it.

The trigger works as long as a mag is inserted to keep the slide in upward tension. When mag is not present, the trigger does not break.

I could back out set screw on trigger shoe to relieve this but then the reset becomes too long.

Can anyone shed light on this?

I've already removed a lot of material off the sear and I'd like an expert's opinion before shaving even more...

Edited by yekcoh

When you say "the pin gets dragged down"... and "the trigger pin has so much wiggle room inside the pin assembly" I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Are you talking about the hook on the striker that the sear engages? There is supposed to be a negative angle there so that the striker can not slip off of the sear. That does result in some downward pressure on the striker as the sear goes through it's motion. 

Edited by ddc

On 6/22/2021 at 4:44 PM, ddc said:

When you say "the pin gets dragged down"... and "the trigger pin has so much wiggle room inside the pin assembly" I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Are you talking about the hook on the striker that the sear engages? There is supposed to be a negative angle there so that the striker can not slip off of the sear. That does result in some downward pressure on the striker as the sear goes through it's motion. 

I think you understood what I'm referring to.

The hook appears angled and every time the trigger pulls, or the sear moves down, it drags the hook with it. Because the pin assembly has a lot of room, the pin, or the hook also moves downward with the sear before it is released.

Edited by yekcoh

On 6/24/2021 at 7:24 AM, yekcoh said:

I think you understood what I'm referring to.

The hook appears angled and every time the trigger pulls, or the sear moves down, it drags the hook with it. Because the pin assembly has a lot of room, the pin, or the hook also moves downward with the sear before it is released.

I suspect that room is there because Sig wanted that amount of clearance in order to provide reliable function under adverse conditions.

Assuming that is true and assuming the interface between striker and sear is intended to provide protection from the striker slipping off of the sear... messing with that interface is above my pay grade. Good luck!

Edited by ddc

On 6/28/2021 at 6:59 PM, ddc said:

I suspect that room is there because Sig wanted that amount of clearance in order to provide reliable function under adverse conditions.

Assuming that is true and assuming the interface between striker and sear is intended to provide protection from the striker slipping off of the sear... messing with that interface is above my pay grade. Good luck!

That's what I was thinking too. I'm wondering if it also plays a role in preventing the notorious discharge from dropping the gun at a certain angle. These are mim parts and there is really nothing I can do to tighten that gap so I will just leave it at this for now... I'm probably going to end up shaving sear more later to achieve crisper break and shorter reset

2 hours ago, yekcoh said:

That's what I was thinking too. I'm wondering if it also plays a role in preventing the notorious discharge from dropping the gun at a certain angle. These are mim parts and there is really nothing I can do to tighten that gap so I will just leave it at this for now... I'm probably going to end up shaving sear more later to achieve crisper break and shorter reset

Should be an interesting experiment. I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Back when I was shooting an M&P I have a vague recollection of a video where modifications to the sear were described in some detail.

I haven't seen anything similar for the P320 platform.