Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One That'll Spook Ya...

Oldgrey

Here is one y'all might like. Actually you might not like, but here goes...

Once a year we have a "Concealment" match. This was the second match that I shot. I was quite unsure as to my ability to participate but the people who shoot in my area are truly excellent peeps and have no problem with hints and coaching noobs.

The course of fire required the shooter to control an imaginary dog at all times, so you had to hold a leash in your hand or on your wrist at all times. Now add to this the concealment requirement, and then you have a shooter wearing a cover garment and holding a rope. The Hot Guns all wore the leash on their strong hand wrist so that reloads were unimpeded.

One shooter got the beep, moved to the draw, tangled the leash with the coat, got hold of the weapon, moved to raise it up, everything bound up and the pistol flipped out of their hand, doing a vertical 180 and landed on the ground.

Now we have a Limited weapon pointing uprange, round in the chamber, and more than 15 rounds in the mag. This seasoned shooter did not release the safety unless the gun was up on target, so it was still on. I didn't know what to do, so I said the word "gun" in a strong but not overly loud voice, as the other Hot Shooters weren't paying attention and talking behind me. The Red Sea parted, the R.O. took care of the situation, and I was more stunned than scared.

Many people say that IPSC/USPSA shooting is a game, to which I always add the words, "Played With Lethal Force".

Thanks for your time,

Grey

y'all be cool

A few years ago, I was at the range practicing my draw. I was shooting a glock 21 with an Uncle Mike's kydex holster. I loaded my weapon and began to holster it. My finger was outside of the trigger gaurd. However, my index finger caught the edge of the holster and as I was holstering my weapon, my finger slid inside the trigger gaurd onto the trigger! As soon as I felt my finger touch the trigger, I immediately stopped and pulled my pistol out of the holster. It was a really freaky feeling. I came extremely close to touching one off.

How is that for spooky? This could happen to anyone.

A few years ago, I was at the range practicing my draw. I was shooting a glock 21 with an Uncle Mike's kydex holster. I loaded my weapon and began to holster it. My finger was outside of the trigger gaurd. However, my index finger caught the edge of the holster and as I was holstering my weapon, my finger slid inside the trigger gaurd onto the trigger! As soon as I felt my finger touch the trigger, I immediately stopped and pulled my pistol out of the holster. It was a really freaky feeling. I came extremely close to touching one off.

How is that for spooky? This could happen to anyone.

I am told that has actually happened at my gun club and elsewhere, and that there was a recall on some of those holsters however, I could be mistaken.

Grey

A couple of years ago we were due to run a tactical-type match in extremely cold weather, and I wimped out. It was just TOO damn cold. I'm glad I did.

A shooter was reholstering a Glock in an IWB holster and got the tip of his glove in the trigger guard while reholstering.

**I would have had him remove the gloves had I been there, but I wasn't. "Cold" be damned, shirt-tails cause enough problems without bringing gloves into the mix.

Any way, he shot a hole in his own ass.

Thankfully it didn't ricochet into the Range Officer running that stage.

Edited by ima45dv8

I heard about a military briefing where the sergeant doing the briefing was explaining that a 1911 can't fire unless the slide is in battery. His customary method of making this point, using a loaded gun, was to place his off hand on the muzzle and push the slide back out of battery, then pull the trigger. You can figure out what happened next, but one of the results was that someone had to complete a lot of paperwork. Supposedly Ollie North was present for this little demo.

Genghis

Never tried it with a loaded pistol, but how did it fire out of battery?

Saw a World ranked shooter shoot himself in the leg in 1978 holstering his weapon with the finger in ther trigger...

Had a guy shoot himself in the leg twice, 6 weeks apart, doing the same thing...at least that one stopped shooting before he hurt someone other than himself.. :(

I believe he pushed the slide back a little, but not far enough.

I used to have a bunch of failures in matches with my Para, when the slide failed to move all the way forward. The trigger does the same thing it does when the hammer is down.