Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Or Multi Gun

Multi-Gun Tactical match! Challenging course of fire that makes you think and physically demanding.

3-Gun...well, the boys at KY state did an outstanding job.

We have been conducting multi-gun at the North American 3-Gun for quite some time, safely.

The stages for multi gun are no harder to set up and run than any other type of stage. You just have to get in there and get after it.

RO's must be experienced shooters, highly motivated, not scared, and understand that they are there for the shooter. RO's make or break a match, sorry Kyle.

Lewis scoring works and when you break down the group into Gold, Silver, Bronze even the new or less experienced shooters win a gun, there is an opportunity for every skill level.

To me keeping multi-gun fair means, having consistent rules and scoring for every shooter throughout the match.

What's the point of classes? To help boost people's egos?...if I win D class, that means 60% of the people shooting at that match are still better than me. If I suck, I suck...simple over all ranking in divisions is adaquate to tell me how well I am shooting.

If some higher class HANDGUN shooters, suck with Rifle and/or Shotgun...is the person that is beating them because they are a better Rifle/Shotgun shooter really a lesser shooter? If their egos can't handle that prospect, they aren't the kind of people I'd want to be shooting with anyway...they're the people that will try to get a stage thrown out simply because they did poorly on it.

I've never heard more whining and bitching from "higher class" shooters than when they have to shoot their 1/4MOA capable rifles with Über scopes past 100 yards. If all someone wants to do is shoot their rifle like a pistol, maybe they should stick to pistol matches only!

Amen!

In the monthly multi-gun matches I put on (all stages are 3-gun - Why? Because I can), the person who is the best with all three firearms does very well and often wins, but not always. Efficiency of movement and transitioning between firearms figures significantly in the outcome.

This single-firearm mindset that I see out there will make it difficult for those folks who have it to enjoy the challenge and excitement of transitioning and operating two or more firearms in a stage.

Multi-gun means too much gear to carry? Stick with pistol-only matches!

While scoring may be harder and take more time, mutigun stages can take more time to run. Kurt made a great point that seems to have been missed. Preloading is good, and coupled with an out of the way clearing area, stages will be less likely to get bogged down when two or more guns are used. I am happy to have someone pick up gun(s) I have left behind while shooting a stage. Just clear the one you end up with and let the scoring begin. As long as someone is watching them, clearing the others while the next shooter is starting should not be an issue. As it was pointed out, cowboy action shooters do it every day. Their stages do run fast, and while they don't have targets to paste, they usually have a stage or two with clays to reset and they always retrieve brass and hulls.

In general, I'd prefer to shoot multi-gun. But I've shot some good 3-gun matches, and I'm sure I will again in the future.

I do like a good mix of single-gun, two-gun, and three-gun stages. Classifications? Piss on 'em. There's nothing at all wrong with having an all-comers match.

- Chris

Multi-Gun is best. 3-Gun is still pretty good. To somewhat quote Kurt, at a single-gun match, it seems like something's missing. :)

I'm not really good at any of them, but the fun more than makes up for it.

Liota

Edited by Liota