Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Retune Para 40 Mags To 9mm

SteveHarris

Can my Para and Para/STI 40 mags be tuned to run 9mm?? I've ordered a new 9mm top to shoot 9mm major but Para 170 9mm mags seem near inpossible to find.... I have a couple of 170 STI/Para 40 mags and plenty of 140 40 mags to work with if they can be tuned for 9mm.....

???????

I have done it several times both for using the .38 Super and for 9mm. Do not recommend it. Repeat: do not recommend it.

I have not been able to use the original Para magazines, as Benny stated they indeed are too wide and eventually some rounds will "jump" under the magazine follower.

But with the STI made for Para magazines in .40 S&W, you will need to close the lips a little bit to hold the 9mm. in place. You will actually still be able to load .40's as well. Keep the .40 follower in the magazine, as they will help some with the rounds getting below it when fully loaded. You may have a little bit of trouble with the last round coming up. And... they may not work right all the time. Frankly even though it can be done, you will do a lot of cursing when ocassionally they won't work.

Talk to Beven Gramms, maybe he will "squeeze" the tubes for you, but don't tell him I suggested it. :D

I think the best solution would be to buy some 9 mm Para mags (they are different than the .38 Super or .40 mags) and cut and weld them together to make some 170 mm long major 9 mags. I did this for .38 Super in the old days before STI made the (STI for) Para mags and they worked fine. I think most gunsmiths would be able to make em for you if you aren't that skillful with a TIG welder.

Sam Spiteri

the difference between the 9mm and the 38 super mags

is not enough to make a difference,

I own 13 old supers and 7- 9mm four of which are marked 9mm

and after breaking out the calipers the main difference is the top

V notch.. is a little deeper ..

but both mags will work for the 9's or 38's ,

if you are looking for a Sti/ para 170 mm look at shooters connection.

they had some on there website..

J. Kee

post-1959-1131832212_thumb.jpg

we have a 40 S&W - 9mm - 38 super

they are in that order..

Edited by supercomp9

• 2 weeks later...

Yep best bet is auction your .40 mags and bight the bullet and buy new 9mm's They are out there just gotta dig, Try CDNN, Para customer service on the phone (they have more than websight lists) Dawson, or STI.