Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Springs

S.C. Shooter

Getting ready to "proof" some minor loads at the range this weekend. I purchased a 13 and 15lb recoil spring from Glockmeister with a captured guide rod in case they are needed for the minor loads. When I installed them to check the 3F's (fit, form, function) even the 13lb spring "feels" heavier than the current stock spring (stock spring has ~3000 cycles) when cycling the slide. Would this be a normal feeling for new springs even though they are "reduced power".

Also the new recoil spring setups feel much rougher in cycling (I attribute this to the steel over steel vs. the steel over plastic of the stock spring). Again is this feeling normal? Should I "Slide Glide" them initially even though it is recommended that Glock's be run dry?

I'm sure that "live fire" will sort most of this out but I'm just curious as to what other's have experienced.

SC,

Its funny you say that. I had a ISMI guide rod and put a 13 lb ISMI spring in it. I cut 1-2 coils off and liked the way it felt, but, the slide would open so easily that if I presented it quickly on a target or pushed it out quickly, it would slightly come out of battery. After this caused a malfunction at the Nationals, I immediately purchased a new ISMI 13lb spring and installed it.

I had the same thing, the 13lb ISMI factory spring felt just as heavy as the factory spring. I shot the rest of the Nationals with it, then when I got home, I bought a Wolff rod and Wolff springs and the problem is solved. The slide has that nice light spring feel, but doesnt open easily like the ISMI spring. It actually feels like a 12 lb spring should, but doesnt come out of battery easily.

I still dont know why that happened with the ISMI spring. IF you find out, let me know.

SC,

Its funny you say that. I had a ISMI guide rod and put a 13 lb ISMI spring in it. I cut 1-2 coils off and liked the way it felt, but, the slide would open so easily that if I presented it quickly on a target or pushed it out quickly, it would slightly come out of battery. After this caused a malfunction at the Nationals, I immediately purchased a new ISMI 13lb spring and installed it.

I had the same thing, the 13lb ISMI factory spring felt just as heavy as the factory spring. I shot the rest of the Nationals with it, then when I got home, I bought a Wolff rod and Wolff springs and the problem is solved. The slide has that nice light spring feel, but doesnt open easily like the ISMI spring. It actually feels like a 12 lb spring should, but doesnt come out of battery easily.

I still dont know why that happened with the ISMI spring. IF you find out, let me know.

I will let you know if I have that "revalation". I did check the free length of the springs before installation and after only ~25 dry cycles they had already taken a -.300 set. Things just did not feel like I expected them.

Who says Glocks should run dry?!?!?

Spread some slide glide on that rod and spring.

(keep the striker channel dry, however...and clean it out at least every 6 months)

(oh...don't forget to lube your rails, and ...most important...lube the camming area where the connector and the trigger bar interact.)

Kevin

I put a LOT of Slide Glide on the guide rod & spring. Makes a difference in smoothness with the Novak rod & Wolff spring, makes a bigger difference on the tungsten rod and ISMI spring.

I also slab a bunch of Slide Glide on the two front frame rails and the recoil block, and leave the rear part of the slide & frame alone, other than a thin film on the cam part of the slide that works the connector right to left.

But put a slab of the stuff where the ejection port locks into the barrel.

You might be getting some binding/dragging?

The inside diameter of the spring to the rod...or, the outside diameter of the spring to the spring tunnel.

Thanks to all for the info.

You might be getting some binding/dragging?

The inside diameter of the spring to the rod...or, the outside diameter of the spring to the spring tunnel.

Thanks to all for the info.