Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman Case Trim Xpress Blues

Chillywig

I have used this trimmer with success recently but in small batches. Last night I started working thru a pile of wolf 223. I set it up to trim at 1.750 and was watching tv and trimming away. I got thru about half the pile last light and quit. I started back into them again this eve. First case I cut I measured at 1.740 then a few more at the same length so I re adjusted to 1.750. I was watching closely and noticed the adjustment dial was turning a very small amount when I would cut a piece of brass. It took about 25 pieces of brass to see the adjustment line I had dialed into the center of the viewing window had turned counter clockwise and had moved over the edge of the window. So I am assuming about every 50 rounds I am loosing ~0.001 of length due to the dial moving while cutting. Anyone else notice this? I guess more than anything I am pissed as I have about 600 pieces of sorted brass that I sized and swaged then trimmed to somewhere between 1.740 to 1.750...

20210222_202441_resized.jpg

Just got mine last year, I haven't noticed that issue.  The adjustment wheel is pretty stiff.  I'll run a few hundred 223 cases on it this week and let you know if I'm seeing the same.  Did you contact Lyman yet to see if there's a way to increase the stiffness on that adjustment wheel?

Just called them to ask. They think my cutter head is a little wobbly? And are going to send out a new cutter head to try - but said it will take 2 to 3 weeks to ship. If that does not do it they will have to replace the unit.

For meanness I tried to open the unit from the front. The 4 philips screws in the corners must be loctited in. I guess I was about 50ish in pounds and could tell I was about to have the screw driver slip/strip and quit

I shared the same info with my shooting buddies. One of them has the same trimmer and says his does the same. He sets it and puts a piece of tape on the wheel and it does not turn

I have probably cut about 1500 pieces of brass. But in the past was working with 100 or so at a time working up various loads for precision vs volume