Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 Cal Smoother On A 650?

The topic is probably confusing at best. So I will try to explain. My wife is getting a .40 SV soon so we picked up another press for her. This way we can load 2 times as fast, me on one and her on the other. I have heard some things which make me wonder if the 650 would run better loading .45 cal on it vs the .40 cal? Specifically with the casefeeder and primer system. Right now we have our 550 set up for .45.

The 650 we got came all set up for.40 except for the case feeder plate. So it would be a bit more money to get the .45 shell plate. On the other hand she is still shooting .45 for the time being so it would be faster in the short run to set up the 650 with .45.

Anyway, does anyone have any recomendations as to which press would be better for which caliber? I suspect that either will do fine once they are set up. But I have heard that the primer system on the 650 is finicky with.40. If the 650 will run smoother with .45 we might just load .45 on that one. She and I pretty much shoot the same amount of ammo. So it does not matter there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Ira

I load almost everything on my 650. The 45 is much easier and takes less force to resize because they are low pressure rounds and the cases are not all bent out of shape. Hot 40s and 9mm Major brass take some real force to get sized. I am using Lee Carbide dies with a FCD, in my experience Lee dies do the best job of sizing the full length of the case.

I must agree with Flexmoney though, a 550 is not a progressive in my book. Autoindex is mandatory especially for high pressure rounds. I had a buddy double charge a 9mm with Titegroup on his 550. He replaced the 550 with a 650 before he replaced the Glock he blew up. The 650 makes it very hard to double charge a case.

Sell the 550 on ebay for as much as you paid for it and get another 650!

Sell the 550 on ebay for as much as you paid for it and get another 650!

yea, I would like to. One thing at a time though. Flex brings up a great point I had not thought about. I guess part of my question was how I could convince the wife to give me her new toy... ;)

I will have to wait and see if I have trouble with the primers and what not. Also I will have to research if there are any tips for developing loads on the 650. The auto index seems like it will be so nice once we get cranking but I do like how easy it was to play with the 550 when setting the powder/seat/crimp.

Anyway, thanks for listening to yet another stupid question,

Ira