Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar-15 Hammer Pin Q

RAZZ

Hello all. Had a quick question I hope someone can help me with. I just installed my new JP trigger in a new RRA AR. Everything works fine, but upom dry-firing, I noticed that the hammer pin now rotates with the fall of the hammer. Is that bad? Will it wear on the receiver over time? Thanks.

My pins rotate and haven't noticed any accelerated wear or problems. You can polish up the pin where it is covered by the hammer and enlarge the center groove of the pin, just leave the ends alone. It's the "J" spring in the hammer that is grabbing the pin and holding the pin in the receiver.

Or, you can remove the "J" spring from the hammer and buy those "anti-walk" pins that some company makes (forgot who) but you willl have those "arms" connecting the two pins (hammer & trigger) showing on the out side of the receiver.

Hope this helps.

barry B)

Sounds like you are using the stock slip-fit trigger pins. This would be normal and not a big issue with these pins. I would recommend getting the JP over-size anti-walk pins myself as the trigger will have a smidgeon less slop, but no big deal if the trigger is nice and you like it the way it is ;-)

I recently had to run for a couple of stages with an undersized sloppy pin and it rotated too, but stayed in place and worked well enough. Back to oversize JP anti-walk pins now though.

--

Regards,