Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flash Suppressors

Jon Merricks

I really hate to ask this here as I know it does stray just a little from the competitive shooting.

I need info on good flash suppressors. I'm looking for something that does not blind you in low light conditions and something that will not blow the ears off some one beside you or in the same area. I know a can would be the best choice but I'm not sure that will be an option. I have experience with both styles of the bird cage.

I think the Vortex had the best flash suppression in a test I read on arfcom. I think Kokalis recommended them as well in some SG News article I read. Maybe I'm weird, but with muffs on I don't notice much difference between my flash hiders, brakes and bare barrels with regard to sound. Without muffs they all are way to loud (the skunk was getting away, so I took the shot without hearing protection--NOT RECOMMENDED!)

Vortex then Phantom for flash. Krinks are great for commando-lengths but they do add gas pressure and they are heavy. Good flashiders too, but no better than the Vortex. They will cycle faster and with more force, so they do adversely affect reliability on some guns, but they also make others more reliable, e.g. the 7.5-11.5" barrel lengths.

There are three states of muzzle-flash: bare, comps/brakes, and flash-hiders. Bare muzzles are bad for flash. Comps simply re-direct flash to counter recoil. Either looks like a flashbulb at night.

There isn't much difference between flash hiders. The Krink is probably best, but it has very little advantage over the Vortex. The plain old birdcage works just fine, as long as you aren't using a "flashy" powder.

How do I know? I spent an evening standing downrange of the muzzles of various hiders and comps, observing the flash. (Insert standard "do not do this at home" warning here.

My competition guns have comps on them. My duty/shtf guns have either vortex or birdcages on them. I'll be getting a krink to test for Volume 2 of my AR book.