Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliable 25 Round Mag/BX25?

gerritm

We shoot SC RFRO with a Ruger Target Lite & a MR Switchbolt. Done a few upgrades & polished & smoothed everything. Love them both. Both are 99.5% reliable with 10 round & 15 round stock Ruger mags using CCI Mini mag ammo. Always give a little on reliability cause they are 22's.

Due to the ammo shortage & skyrocketing costs. We are shooting more & more matches substituting .22 for rifle in stages with more  than 10 or 15 rounds. I know that it would make sense to get a couple of S&W MP22 with 25 round mags cause the Rugers are not easy to reload, but love shooting these. 

Tried a couple of different BX25 double mags. Did the youtube fixes, and still can't get them to run consistently. Might run 1 time and get a jam next.  Have a new single BX25 that jury is still out on. Any other suggestions for reliable 25 round mags?

gerritm

• 1 year later...

I was running Marvel 1s for RFPO and they have TIGHT chambers, and way more accurate than needed for steel.

That said, since the Obama administration, rimfire ammo's quality sucks!

I couldn't find anybody that sold a case gauge for 22, so I use a Marvel barrel as a case gauge. Even with Mini mags, I probably have to wipe excess wax off. It's surprising just how many won't even START in the barrel.

A few years ago, I was going to shoot RFRO with an old, stock Ruger 10/22, and made the mistake of just grabbing a brick of CCI standard velocity ammo off the shelf, that had not been case gauged, and my rifle jammed regardless of whether I used BX25 magazines, or, 10 round magazines. It turned out that the ammo had so much wax on it, they didn't even want to come up, in the magazines.

I have 4, BX25 magazines, and prefer to use them, over the 10 round magazines because they are easier to clean.

If you don't check your ammunition, I would suggest you start there.

FYI: I just got done going through a brick of SK, for semi-auto, and all 500 LOOKED about perfect, and dropped right in a Marvel barrel, whereas, I went through 250 rounds of Eley Force, and eventhough they all dropped right in the barrel, I found 16 rounds with deformed bullets that I thought might cause feeding issues, but when I took them to the range, they actually fed fine.

• 1 year later...