Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Sizing Question Thanks

PFISTO

I posted this in the beginners by mistake also..............................

Well first off I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer so many questions on this forum. The information here is priceless. So on to my question:

I just got my 550 about 2 weeks ago and after reading allmost every post about everything I purchased 3 different powders, VV310,320 and WST. I also got 5 different bullets Precision molly's, Precission Delta, Better bullets, Montana Bullet works and Penn Bullets ( they have not arrived yet). I loaded about 14 bullets of each bullet in different powders. 12 loads in all (RESULTS IN ANOTHER POST)

My gun is a EGW commander 45 from George ( what a piece of art) Before I started to reload I got about 10 different types of bullets to see what shot best in my gun and I also got 500 rounds of 185 Berrys 185 JRN from a reloader. Now all during my testing my gun didn't have one jam it ate everything (IDPA SHOOTING).

So now back to my reloads during my 12 load test in which all were either light loads or in the middle. I had about 5 total jams which brings me to my post heading. I spec my loads to .469 crimp and 1.248 AOL, of course there were some variation but all within .002 I THOUGHT. So I had a machinest friend of mine make a gauge 1.250 by .480 the only problem is there is no taper in it. Now after reading all the info on the Lee FCD and the EGW U die or cutting the Dillon die I can't decide what to do or which die to by or which gauge to get or make. Like everyone else I would like to have a smooth press but more importantly have good loads. Sorry for the ramble but there are so many questions along the way.

Thanks Mike

I think maybe a little more information is in order...after all that bullet testing, your post doesn't indicate what you settled on...what bullet style are you loading?

And what were the nature of the jams? Nose into ramp, nose into chamber roof, FTE, etc.

A case gauge is a cheap investment and can save a lot of surprises at the range...Midway carries inexpensive Frankford (I think that's the name), Wilson and possibly others.

Need more details about your problem...

/Bryan

I think maybe a little more information is in order...after all that bullet testing, your post doesn't indicate what you settled on...what bullet style are you loading?

And what were the nature of the jams? Nose into ramp, nose into chamber roof, FTE, etc.

A case gauge is a cheap investment and can save a lot of surprises at the range...Midway carries inexpensive Frankford (I think that's the name), Wilson and possibly others.

Need more details about your problem...

/Bryan

Well my testing is not done but the precision moly 200swc with 4.5 vv320 was in the lead.

The jams were 4 apeared to have diamater issues and one was AOL problem. It appears that the issue here is sizing as to my question EGW, FCD or cut down the Dillon die or any of the above. I had a gauge built but as stated in post it does not taper, Do the other gauges use a taper or are they straight with what dimmensions? I don't mind spending the money to get it right I just don't like spinning my wheels if someone else has allready been there done that.

Thanks

It's very hard to tell but it seems that the Franford Arsenal is a taper wall down to the case head ledge. Fired cases won't drop all the way in - they stick at around .474. I use a Lee FCD and everything ends up at .469 crimp down to either .470 or .471 at the base...drop smoothly in, no chambering problems in my experience.

I was kind of surprised to see that the Lyman load manual (48th ed.) lists case dimensions as .473 nose down to .476 base. I assume that is SAAMI max and what the Frankford gauge is supposed to measure. Factory Winchester white box measures .470 straight.

Here's the gauge on Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=539218

Hope that's of some help.

/B

First of all, congrats on Reloading, as you can see it can be problematic to start with. If you are going to shoot lead bullets then get a Lee FCD. You probably wont have any more ammo NOT chambering after that. Period. All rounds will chamber. After doing accuracy testing I can find no difference at 50yds with ammo loaded with the FCD or the Dillon Crimp die in 9x19 or .45acp. As far as OAL you will have to see what works with your gun. Worst case scenario take Factory rounds that feed in your gun, set the seater die to that OAL, and lock it in place. You should be fine. 200swc bullets work at 1.250+/- .002, which is usual variation in .45 range brass. Most 230rn type bullets work best at 1.240-245, but check your gun. Remember since your gun is a commander you will need loads on the warmer side for 100% reliability unless you change out the recoil spring. I hope some of this helps and have fun! Doug

If you ordered a Dillon 550, and have Dillon Dies, DON"T cut them down. If you're brass is "Hugely" oversized throw it out. You will see a VERY noticable ridge just forward of the extractor groove after sizing if the brass is that bad.

Things to watch:

Make sure you're not shaving lead when seating the bullets. You must adjust the Powder Die down enough to bell the case mouth so the bullet will sit in it and not shave off lead from the side when seating the bullet.

Make sure your Sizing Die rests on the Shell Plate. I use the following procedure, without using any cases run the handle all of the way down as if sizing a case. Then screw the Sizing Die down until it rests solidly on the Shell Plate.

Make sure your Crimping Die is set and that all dies are Locked Down.

From what you're saying I wonder if you're not "Short Stroking". Make sure you get solid pressure at the end of each stroke, for each case. Sometimes, especially when cranking out 5 or 600 rounds in an hour, it's easy to anticipate the bottom stroke and not actually complete it. That can lead to long rounds and cases that aren't sized well.

If your gun isn't springed for light loads, that could be your problem. When using a 200 grain bullet and a 16# spring, or less, you should have no problems as long as the loads are over 830 f/s. WST will take 4.6 grains, or more, to make this.

Since you had fired some previously reloaded ammo, I doubt that your problem is gun related. But to be safe, check the following:

Take your Barrel out of the Pistol, clean the bore and chamber.

Take a loaded round, that has no lead shaved at the case mouth, and drop it into the chamber.

It should drop in easily, kind of with a "Thunk", and come to rest with the rim even or slightly under the the hood of the barrel.

If the rim is above the Hood of the Barrel, lightly push on the cartridge. If it then seats flush with the hood, you may have a problem with lead in the barrel/chamber or a chamber that's not finished (unlikely from EGW). Try a factory round, make sure the chamber is clean, if it fits flush, or just below, you don't have a chamber problem.

Dave

If you ordered a Dillon 550, and have Dillon Dies, DON"T cut them down. If you're brass is "Hugely" oversized throw it out. You will see a VERY noticable ridge just forward of the extractor groove after sizing if the brass is that bad.

Things to watch:

Make sure you're not shaving lead when seating the bullets. You must adjust the Powder Die down enough to bell the case mouth so the bullet will sit in it and not shave off lead from the side when seating the bullet.

Make sure your Sizing Die rests on the Shell Plate. I use the following procedure, without using any cases run the handle all of the way down as if sizing a case. Then screw the Sizing Die down until it rests solidly on the Shell Plate.

Make sure your Crimping Die is set and that all dies are Locked Down.

From what you're saying I wonder if you're not "Short Stroking". Make sure you get solid pressure at the end of each stroke, for each case. Sometimes, especially when cranking out 5 or 600 rounds in an hour, it's easy to anticipate the bottom stroke and not actually complete it. That can lead to long rounds and cases that aren't sized well.

If your gun isn't springed for light loads, that could be your problem. When using a 200 grain bullet and a 16# spring, or less, you should have no problems as long as the loads are over 830 f/s. WST will take 4.6 grains, or more, to make this.

Since you had fired some previously reloaded ammo, I doubt that your problem is gun related. But to be safe, check the following:

Take your Barrel out of the Pistol, clean the bore and chamber.

Take a loaded round, that has no lead shaved at the case mouth, and drop it into the chamber.

It should drop in easily, kind of with a "Thunk", and come to rest with the rim even or slightly under the the hood of the barrel.

If the rim is above the Hood of the Barrel, lightly push on the cartridge. If it then seats flush with the hood, you may have a problem with lead in the barrel/chamber or a chamber that's not finished (unlikely from EGW). Try a factory round, make sure the chamber is clean, if it fits flush, or just below, you don't have a chamber problem.

Dave

Well I went to EGW on friday and showed my gun to George and he changed my spring to a 18lb and a little longer and also reground my spring guide stop .004 off. I also got his undersize die. I went home and loaded another round of test rounds. I basicly loaded everything the same way and this time not one failuer of about 100 rounds. Most of the rounds were the 200 swc with most loads about 3/4 hot. This time I even had a couple last rounds that locked the chamber back. So things are looking better. I must say that the full length resize did not really make the reloading process any harder but it did make the cases a little longer but they all feed fine. I will be giving a full report on my findings. Thanks for your input