Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adding Weight To H-S Precison Stock

EricW

I have a 26" Remmy 700P with the HS stock that I would like to add weight to the rear of. Is there a way to do this easily? The buttplate appears glued on - unless I'm missing something. :blink:

All I want to do is lose some of the nose-heavy feel of the rifle for shooting offhand. (And no, I am not going to cut the barrel down, thank you. And no, I'm not going to tear down a sub 1/2 rifle and have the barrel turned down/fluted/contoured/whatever the current rage is these days.)

If adding weight to the existing stock is impossible without major surgery, what about the stocks with the adjustable length of pull assemblies? Any clue as to how that would move the balance point rearward?

I know that one can drill *small* holes through the stocks without weakening them, but drilling one that's large enough to add a meaningful amount of weight seems unlikely without problems.

The only other uber-cheap solution I can think of is an elastic buttstock cartridge carrier - but that doesn't seem like it would add enough weight. Ideas?

Thnx,

E

Eric

If the recoil pad is screwed on, there should be two tiny slits for the phillips screwdriver to enter the pad. I believe that the HS Precision stock is hollow, not foam filled like a McMillan. Even if it is glued, you should be able to remove it, glue some wood into the cavity, and screw the pad back on.

I spoke to HS and they told me that if I cut off the buttplate and place what ever weight I need into the stock, they will finish the job for $10 for the recoil pad plus $65 to 80 to repaint the stock. Sounds like a bargain to me. Cheapest replacement recoil pad I can find is $30 +ship.

Think I'm going to give the ammo carrier a try first. Between 6 rounds, a couple trajectory and range cards and a clinometer, I'm probably going to have enough weight there to make the rifle manageable offhand.

Anybody have a clue if you're allowed to remove your bipod during "precision rifle" matches?