Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"a History Of Violence"

down0

Just finished watching "A History of Violence" and I can't decide what I think of this movie.  Anyone else see it?

It fell short of the mark for me += I do understand one way of looking at it That the writer may have intended but the edititing and directing short changes us on . The caracters part as played. like each of us = Who is he? =who are we? are we the person we were in school? are we the person in our first Marage? The carater used to be a violent kick ass guy,= back 20 years before. He chose to change = he reinvented himself to the Husband, father regulare guy, that neglects the happines of his kids.

He gets pulled back,, he reverts just to what is needed to survive.= remimber he did not act like the old descriptions of himself =having fun kicking but. He did just what was needed. he didn't take the $$from his brothers house, he could have. he just drove his old truck home to his not so loving wife, and not so adjusted kids. like each of us is it what we do now that define us? I know I could not now stand to be around the person I was 30 years ago. The caracter in the move reinvented himslf to be a "normal guy" but he neglects teaching his kids, his wife does not respect him. is this what Holywood thinks Normal is? = that why it fell short for me.

I do understand the idea of being "born again" as Mortenson's character talks about: that despite our past sins, we can move past what we were and become something new......BUT.....he reverted to what he was in order to protect what he became. So, had he really changed?

On a related note, when did William Hurt start to suck as an actor? The whole freakin' movie sloooows to a crawl when he appears and starts "acting".

• 4 months later...

I watched it in a flight back from "El Caribe" and wasn't impressed, but need to watch it again without all the captain's interruptions. Viggo and Ed Harris are very good actors and I always enjoy watching them. Agree with Zero that William Hurt sucked in this one. I usually don't get carried away in existential trips with movies, but if I did this one wouldn't be one to do it. It's a lightweight to what it could've been.