Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2020 Carry Optics - Threaded Barrels Now Legal? (Rule quote inside)

I'm about to buy a barrel for a Glock 34 length OZ9 build for Carry Optics. I noticed the 2020 rule changes, and it looks like threaded barrels may now be legal, as the previous portion of the rules that specified that the barrel had to be the same length, contour, etc. as the OEM barrel have been deleted and replaced with a simpler rule that says nothing about those things.

Item 21.3 changed: “Barrels: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel of the same length, contour, and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.” To: “Barrels: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel.

Item 21.3 - Deleted: “Special Notes/Clarifications:A barrel within +/-0.1”of OFM is the same length.  Barrels of the same length and caliber but with different crown profiles are authorized.”

Can anyone confirm that my interpretation of the rules here is correct? Can I use an aftermarket threaded barrel with thread protector installed (obviously, no compensator).

I ask primarily because I just want to buy one barrel, and I like threaded barrels because of being able to use them with suppressors/comps in my free time, not because I'm looking for an advantage, though I suppose there would be a small advantage here with a tiny bit of extra added static weight from the longer barrel.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

Because of the special condition #5:

"5. UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION."

My answer is maybe 😉. You will be at the mercy of the RM of the match. Note that Special Condition #5 does not include an internet post or email from Troy.

Yes, you may replace with any aftermarket barrel. 

Chuck is correct that special condition 5 applies, but 21.3 now specifically allows aftermarket barrels with no restriction on length contour profile crown etc. 

Edited by Hdiamond
Added some context.

34 minutes ago, Hdiamond said:

Yes, you may replace with any aftermarket barrel. 

Chuck is correct that special condition 5 applies, but 21.3 now specifically allows aftermarket barrels with no restriction on length contour profile crown etc. 

The problem is the "etc". It is not a slam dunk.

Note: Glock offers a threaded barrel for the 34 Gen 5. That pretty much qualifies as "OFM"

I really don't see how this is complicated. There were previously stipulations on what kind of barrel replacements from first or third party sources are allowed. Those stipulations have been expressly removed. 

3 minutes ago, Hdiamond said:

I really don't see how this is complicated. There were previously stipulations on what kind of barrel replacements from first or third party sources are allowed. Those stipulations have been expressly removed. 

That's what I would hope, but USPSA seems to not lay things out as clearly as it could...