Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Types Of Barrels

cybrosh

I am pretty sure that the tolerances that Sandy puts in his guns will prevent that from happening. I dont think the slide actually hits the raised portion of the barrel when returning to battery. If he had developed the sight tracker when I bought my limited gun, I would have jumped on it. His hybrid open barrels have been out for some time now and I have never heard of any excessive wear on them.

Hey Sgt.Glock. Thanks for the replies.

My SPS blaster, with lothar arms barrel, is a hybrid comp(sleeve)with a 'sight tracker'(of course, not SVI original), and it has more than 20000 rounds through it. There's no excessive wear, but you can see where the slide "hits" the sleeve. I'll try and post a pic or two.

The "Sight Tracker" design is a definite improvement in many ways.

It is true that this design will increase friction areas within the firing cycle. Proper lubrication is essential. (but I didn't have to remind you of that!!!)

The advantages go beyond the obvious. It is true that the extra weight forward will help with muzzle flip, and that is as far as some individuals will take it. Fixing and holding your eye in the front sight as you "track" your shots "was/is" the original intention, as there is but only a small amount of travel to the rear as opposed to a sight mounted in the slide.

But another overlooked advantage is that of increasing your accuracy by "tracking the barrell in "two" points rather than one. Normally as you fire, the bullet causes "torque" rotation which is stopped/managed by your barrel's feet and the frame as the barrel moves back to unlock. This of course causes some wear in the frame and barrel's feet, although mostly insignificant. The proper fitting of the top "tracker rib" actually "mirrors" the same purpose in the opposite end to balance the short rear travel of the barrel where the torque forces are dampened by both the barrel's feet and the rib. This in some amount helps improve your accuracy.

When a "hybrid" barrel with a front compensator cycles, that "rib" also assist in managing the torque transferred to it. I love the rock solid "bank vault" feel of a hybrid/tracker system, as it helps track much more than the sight.

I like the lite weight limited guns myself. It might be a good choice for some shooters but spending extra money on ammo and practice will get you a lot further than spending money on the next hot gadget. Another reason I would try to stay away from something like the hybrid barrels is parts replacement later on.

Such as cracked slides, sheared lugs or anything that would involve a slide or barrel replacement.

Edited by JRBean