Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Lee seater/crimp die issues with setup~

chgofirefighter

Since the Dillon RL1100 lacks the stations that the Mark7 Evo does, I was trying to use the DAA magnetic powder check after the powder drop station which leaves room for the bullet drop die but I'm only left with 1 station.  So I purchased the DAA Seater/Crimp die combo, and I've been having nothing but issues with dialing it in correctly.  Now I know thatn a  Magnetic powder check isn't truly needed, but I've gotten used to have having that extra layer of safety on the Mark7 which indicates a low powder drop or double powder charge.  I've watched YouTube videos, read the manual, done tons of research and I can't get it to work good enough to be satisfied.  Lastly, my test loads are not passing the case gauge.  

Before on my 1050 I didn't have a powder check device, just the bullet feeder die, reddding comp seater and Lee Crimp and things were smooth...  Now I can't say the same about this "Combo" seater/crimp die from DAA...  

Thoughts? Not sure if there's a special different technique to dial this die down....?  Beside's what I've been doing... 

2 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Since the Dillon RL1100 lacks the stations that the Mark7 Evo does, I was trying to use the DAA magnetic powder check after the powder drop station which leaves room for the bullet drop die but I'm only left with 1 station.  So I purchased the DAA Seater/Crimp die combo, and I've been having nothing but issues with dialing it in correctly.  Now I know thatn a  Magnetic powder check isn't truly needed, but I've gotten used to have having that extra layer of safety on the Mark7 which indicates a low powder drop or double powder charge.  I've watched YouTube videos, read the manual, done tons of research and I can't get it to work good enough to be satisfied.  Lastly, my test loads are not passing the case gauge.  

Before on my 1050 I didn't have a powder check device, just the bullet feeder die, reddding comp seater and Lee Crimp and things were smooth...  Now I can't say the same about this "Combo" seater/crimp die from DAA...  

Thoughts? Not sure if there's a special different technique to dial this die down....?  Beside's what I've been doing... 

chgo:

Those extra die stations on the Mark7 was one of the big benefits when I was seriously considering the M7 Evo!  I've ALWAYS used separate seat and crimp stations since everything I've read about the dual purpose dies were they are a nightmare to setup correctly!  Not sure if I'll ever include an MBF, but if so, I've wondered if a good camera/monitor setup for viewing the powder charge would be sufficient for that needed safety backup?

I'm in for the replies!

:)

Well Hog as you are aware I was in this same situation related to my RL1100 set up for 9mm.

ChgoFF what I decided to do after reading tons of on line posts at various sites is to go with a MBF, a back up camera and monitor in place of a powder cop, the seating die, and then the crimp die......Some folks have had success in managing a seat/crimp die, but more have not....I too bought the RL1100 thinking I could accomplish all of these processes but learned after my unit arrived that I was mistaken...

I am in too deep now (also purchased $800.00 in components to allow me to complete a caliber change over on the RL1100) and hind sight is 20/20...Not sure I could have justified the additional cost of the Mark7 unit anyway.....Good luck but what you may find is what Hog said - go with the separate seating and crimping die set up to provide you with consistent easy to set up and manipulate rounds.  I have been using the separate seat and crimp die set up on my XL650 for all of my pistol calibers for 5+ years will wonderful success....

At the recommendation of Youngeyes I ordered a very nice 1080P camera and 7” monitor for $80.00 off of EBay and had a 12 volt convertor here at the house to run it when it arrives...

Good luck in the path you take.....Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

only tang the powder ck die is good for is to drag powder out of the case.

every one that I know has removed them for this reason. A camera system is a better option

imo.

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Well Hog as you are aware I was in this same situation related to my RL1100 set up for 9mm.

ChgoFF what I decided to do after reading tons of on line posts at various sites is to go with a MBF, a back up camera and monitor in place of a powder cop, the seating die, and then the crimp die......Some folks have had success in managing a seat/crimp die, but more have not....I too bought the RL1100 thinking I could accomplish all of these processes but learned after my unit arrived that I was mistaken...

I am in too deep now (also purchased $800.00 in components to allow me to complete a caliber change over on the RL1100) and hind sight is 20/20...Not sure I could have justified the additional cost of the Mark7 unit anyway.....Good luck but what you may find is what Hog said - go with the separate seating and crimping die set up to provide you with consistent easy to set up and manipulate rounds.  I have been using the separate seat and crimp die set up on my XL650 for all of my pistol calibers for 5+ years will wonderful success....

At the recommendation of Youngeyes I ordered a very nice 1080P camera and 7” monitor for $80.00 off of EBay and had a 12 volt convertor here at the house to run it when it arrives...

Sig:

Looking forward to details on your setup.  I've got nice 7" monitor, and have not been able to test the back-up camera yet to see if I get the image I'm after.......

👍

1 hour ago, AHI said:

only tang the powder ck die is good for is to drag powder out of the case.

every one that I know has removed them for this reason. A camera system is a better option

imo.

Same here..........I've read MANY posts with users of both types complaining of powder spillage.........

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Same here..........I've read MANY posts with users of both types complaining of powder spillage.........

You can have some powder spillage  but you just need to modify the settings or invert the drop plunger.  DAA has many options to making it work~  So far, on my Mark7 I haven't had many issues.. 

4 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Man brother let me tell you, once you go Mark7 you'll soon realize why didn't you do it sooner.  It's an awesome press, buttery smooth too.  But the Dillon RL1100 is an excellent choice but I just wish that Dillon gave you more options for stations.  I think Immortobot, not sure I'm spelling the name right sells a tool head for the 1050 that has more stations, but it's not a cheap option since it cost $250

4 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

Man brother let me tell you, once you go Mark7 you'll soon realize why didn't you do it sooner.  It's an awesome press, buttery smooth too.  But the Dillon RL1100 is an excellent choice but I just wish that Dillon gave you more options for stations.  I think Immortobot, not sure I'm spelling the name right sells a tool head for the 1050 that has more stations, but it's not a cheap option since it cost $250

You are correct that "Immortobot" is one of the Dealers offering the CNC upgraded tool head.  I too thought, wow!  It's got an extra station!  Come to find out the extra "station" is actually 7/8"x14 standard die threads over the primer station.  So, we still wouldn't have that extra station just after powder drop..........if I'm understanding it correctly.........

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_24&products_id=229

:)