Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 alignment - frustration

On 5/19/2020 at 9:00 AM, Ruebarb said:

I'm not sure if this helps your issue, but I had a crushed primer issue with the 650. It ended up being the Index Bearing Cam, I added as an "upgrade". NO matter how I adjusted the press, I still had some crushed primers, put the orginal Dillon part back on, problem was gone.

I also had on the same roller bearing cam and removed it immediately once the primer issues developed.  The primer problem persisted even after leaving it off and aligning the machine.  Good tip though. 

I got a used 650 from an estate auction a while back. Got around to setting it up (bullet feeder/case feeder) and loaded about 5k 9mm. It was running great except for the occasional case miss feed. A few cases fell on their side and I pierced/dented probably 8-10 with decapping pin. Anyway I kept loading on it and all of a sudden my cases were no longer lining up with the sizing die. They were "falling/sliding" out of the the shellplate. I was just a few mm off. I adjusted the case slide every which way at the advise of dillon. No dice. I loaded about 200rd like this adjusting as I went trying to figure it out. I would always stop when I felt a case hit the size die (about 1-2 every 10rd). Anyway I got frustrated and sent the handle downward anyway crushing the case. Like stepping on an empty coke can. I did this 2x and then realized I had broken my new shellplate from forcing it, of course when does that ever work (I felt better for about 5min) Time to call Dillon a 2nd time.

So I call up Dillon and explain my frustration over the misalginment and the breakage of the shellplate (ultimately my fault). I spoke with Tim and he had me measure the platform area. Turns out that platform hasn't been put on the 650 since 1998. That platform had a tendency to become unlevel with force on station 1. My press is older than I thought. It doesn't have the grease zerks so that was one indication. Tim sent me a whole new platform and case slide/ram assembly along with a new shellplate and station 1 locator to replace the ones I had abused. I'm finishing the press assembly tonight. I'm pretty confident this will work. Can't beat that kind of CS. Thanks Tim!!

My advice is call Dillon or simply mail them the press for a rebuild. I probably should have mailed mine but he sent the parts out and they were here in 2 days. 

Just got the 650 back - 25 day turnaround.  Here's the list of parts they replaced - looks like a a lot of stuff. 

That said, I can't determine the exact cause of the initial priming system problem I suppose it was just easier for Dillon to replace everything that could possibly go wrong, test and ship it back out.  As to the cost, you really cannot beat this lifetime NO BS guarantee.  It truly is amazing.

Haven't set it back up yet but I'll post any continuing problems.

Thanks for everyone's contribution in getting this resolved.

Scan0003.pdf