Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 alignment - frustration

HI all,

My XL650 started crushing primers and after a phone session with Dillon, they decided to send me a new indexer ring and an alignment tool.  I can tweak the platform so that I get that sweet spot where the alignment tool goes into primer seater without binding. However, it all goes downhill  when I tighten down the platform screws which brings me right back to the alignment tool binding on the platform. 

I've tried everything I can think of including tightening the bolts evenly in various incremental steps or fully tightening one and then the other bolt. No matter what I do, the platform will always return to the same sour spot which causes the alignment tool to bind again and again.

As an aside, I'm thinking that alignment may not be the cause of  my primer problems.  I say that because with the machine fully assembled, when I push the handle to the forward position to see how the primer seater lines up with the shell plate - it is clearly off.  I don't think platform alignment is going to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated.  

Edited by fpf
edit

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Might get a light and magnifying glass to see if something is cracked on the frame.

Yep thanks Sarge - did that although without a magnifying glass which I'll try now.

You need to adjust the indexer block or index bearing cam (if you upgraded) in order to line up the shell plate properly to prevent crushing primers. That’s item number 18 (#16776) on your machine assembly diagram.

Is it the shell plate that wont adjust properly? or is it the primer assembly?  I once had an issue with my 650 that was caused by the spring  on the primer assembly.  Have you tried replacing the spring?  

12 hours ago, fpf said:

Well  , , , its a little early to exercise the nuclear option. Besides,  I like to tinker so long as I know it's something I can fix.

I had your same problem with one of my 650s. Could never get it to align right. Sent it back to dillon. Ran 500 rds and was out of line again. Went back to dillon 2nd time got it back 1000 rds or so then back doing the same. Guess what? Dillon sent me a new 650 but never told me what was wrong. I think the frame was out of spec or something serious cause this was a new press and was never right to start off. 

Well like Dirty Harry said, " A man has go to know his limitations."   I'm sending the press to Dillon for adjustment/repair.  I have tried everything I could think of, the Dillon tech could think of and all the advice you guys were kind enough to share.  I'll let you know what the official diagnosis is when I hear.  Thanks everyone.

By the way, did you know that Dillon recommends installing part# 13832 - (Index Arm Bowed Washer) upside down from the way it is shown on page 53 of the XL650 manual?  This modification did not solve my problem but it was interesting.  Tech said, manual is wrong and it should go in with the bowed edges pointing downwards.

I’m sure you checked all this..but I was having same problem..Turns out platform mounting bolts where both just a little loose..just enough shell-late wasn’t centering cases in primer station..tighten the bolts, problem mostly went away..I’ve also learned Hold handle with same certain pressure and speed on each stroke..this help smooth things out a lot..if I really grip handle and push/pull anyway other than straight and square on up stroke, I can throw things out of wack a little..

22 hours ago, falconpilot said:

I’m sure you checked all this..but I was having same problem..Turns out platform mounting bolts where both just a little loose..just enough shell-late wasn’t centering cases in primer station..tighten the bolts, problem mostly went away..I’ve also learned Hold handle with same certain pressure and speed on each stroke..this help smooth things out a lot..if I really grip handle and push/pull anyway other than straight and square on up stroke, I can throw things out of wack a little..

Thanks and yes - tried that multiple times. Even doing the alignment wouldn’t work right with the Dillon supplied tool. That’s when I knew I was in over my head and shipped it out to Dillon. I’ll post the results when the machine comes back.  Luckily I have a second 650 which purrs like a kitten. 

FPF....whatever it’s worth...I purchased a used 650 from a friend at an amazing price. Same problem as you are having .

called Dillon about alignment problems...received excellent advice and several replacement parts...to no avail.

Sent it back for a rebuild ($79).....swore it was a whole new press when it was returned.

160K of 9 mm and .556 later it’s running like a champ. Absolutely the wisest money I ever spent. Maybe worth considering??

What does it cost to send back to Dillon for a rebuild now days? I think I heard $250 somewhere which seemed a little steep. I don’t recall where I heard that though so it could be very wrong. I’m having some alignment issues as well. Alignment tool helped a bit, but didn’t resolve the problem. Mine is also the old style press without the Zerk fittings that I heard they will install if sent to them for a rebuild and it didn’t have them before. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

What does it cost to send back to Dillon for a rebuild now days? I think I heard $250 somewhere which seemed a little steep. I don’t recall where I heard that though so it could be very wrong. I’m having some alignment issues as well. Alignment tool helped a bit, but didn’t resolve the problem. Mine is also the old style press without the Zerk fittings that I heard they will install if sent to them for a rebuild and it didn’t have them before. Any help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The $79 ish figure is what I heard not too long ago. Shipping will be a little pricey as well

Sent my 650 back beginning of last year for similar problems. Had about 70K-80K  rounds on it. Rebuilt it and sent me a list of parts, basically everything. All it cost me was shipping, around $60. 

One thing I will say is that when I sent it back I removed all the "Upgrades"  and since this has come back with 40K or so I have not put back any of the upgrades and it has run perfect. The start of all my problems was when I added those items. 

gerritm

On 5/18/2020 at 5:29 AM, TANFARM said:

FPF....whatever it’s worth...I purchased a used 650 from a friend at an amazing price. Same problem as you are having .

called Dillon about alignment problems...received excellent advice and several replacement parts...to no avail.

Sent it back for a rebuild ($79).....swore it was a whole new press when it was returned.

160K of 9 mm and .556 later it’s running like a champ. Absolutely the wisest money I ever spent. Maybe worth considering??

17 hours ago, gerritm said:

Sent my 650 back beginning of last year for similar problems. Had about 70K-80K  rounds on it. Rebuilt it and sent me a list of parts, basically everything. All it cost me was shipping, around $60. 

One thing I will say is that when I sent it back I removed all the "Upgrades"  and since this has come back with 40K or so I have not put back any of the upgrades and it has run perfect. The start of all my problems was when I added those items. 

gerritm

My recent cost to ship the 650 was $78 but that included $34 for the box and packing material/labor at the UPS/Fedex store. Stupid/laziness on my part since I could easily have bought a box and packaged it myself for a fraction of that cost.  I also purchased this press from a fellow shooter 6 years ago for a great price and promptly shipped it off to Dillon for a rebuild.  Since it’s my backup machine, it had less than 5k rounds on it when I started having the current problems. 

I also stripped it of any upgrades before shipping. I got the distinct impression from Dillon tech they are unnecessary and will void the lifetime warranty. They are ok with things like primer dumps and crud catchers but not with any moving parts like rollers or replacement detent balls (yikes!). 

I'm not sure if this helps your issue, but I had a crushed primer issue with the 650. It ended up being the Index Bearing Cam, I added as an "upgrade". NO matter how I adjusted the press, I still had some crushed primers, put the orginal Dillon part back on, problem was gone.