Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ss .40 Mag Feed Lip Dimensions

XRe

I recall seeing a thread on here that detailed feed lip dimensions for SS mags - and that they tended to be slightly smaller than double stack mags. Alas, I can't find it anymore :( Maybe I was on crack that day, or something....

Anyhow - does anyone know what the feed lip dimensions should be on SS .40 mags? Same as double stack mags (which I have dimensions for), or different - and if different, what should they be??

I wouldn't know why they would be any different.  You might just pick up the phone and call Virgil Tripp.  If anyone would know, it would be him.

I figured I might do that. Since they're his mags that I've got, I figured it also might not hurt to have a 2nd opinion from someone other than the manufacturer :) All of my mags are much narrower than the dimensions everyone tunes their double stack mags to - and, interestingly, they all *narrow* to the front. Front of lips range from .357 to .369, and the rear of the lips range from .364 to .372. They're *sharp*, too (several of them will dig a longitudinal line in the cases as you push them out....

I'm wondering if that might be responsible for the occasional failure to feed from slide lock that I still encounter... a firm bump on the slide fixes it....

After speaking w/ Virgil...

SS .40 mags should nominally have feed lips at .370-.375", though a little narrower won't hurt anything. They should *not* be leaving scratches on the cases. He advised me to use some 220 grit sandpaper to clean up the sharp edges - I went further and polished w/ a fine cratex bit, and will follow up w/ felt wheel on the Dremel to really smooth them out.

Virgil also apologized for me having to do the work (which wasn't a big deal to me :) ). He said "Shame on us" for leaving burrs on the lips. Post clean-up, the lips are now ranging from .368 - .374, where they were previously .357 - .372.

Operation seems to be much smoother and less hindered. Time to take it to the range and see what happens....

Here is a thread by Brian on mag tweaking that is very good.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...T&f=3&t=5188url

All the best

Jerry

After speaking w/ Virgil...

SS .40 mags should nominally have feed lips at .370-.375", though a little narrower won't hurt anything. They should *not* be leaving scratches on the cases. He advised me to use some 220 grit sandpaper to clean up the sharp edges - I went further and polished w/ a fine cratex bit, and will follow up w/ felt wheel on the Dremel to really smooth them out.

Virgil also apologized for me having to do the work (which wasn't a big deal to me :) ). He said "Shame on us" for leaving burrs on the lips. Post clean-up, the lips are now ranging from .368 - .374, where they were previously .357 - .372.

Operation seems to be much smoother and less hindered. Time to take it to the range and see what happens....