Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magzines For Glock 17

1911jerry

In shooting production, do you guys keep the stock 10 round magazine, or go someplace else for more boutique mags.

Also, I was looking on line doing some research and saw these magazines with little locks on the bottom. If I buy a nre Glock, is this the only kind I can buy, or do the older type retrofit into the new frames?

I was informed that drop free mags are new on the Glock market. BS or fact?

Thanks, I have settled on the Glock 17 to shoot production, just want to do research on the mags at this point before I drop coinage on the gun.

Thanks

Jerry

I buy the hi-cap mags and just load to 10 rounds for production and SSP. I haven't seen the mags with a lock, but if they were available I would not even consider buying them. Drop frees have been around quite a long time now, but the gun was designed originally so that the mags would not drop free.

Mail order hi-caps should be less than $12 to $15 each. I have 10 mags for my Glock 34. One of the best things about Glocks is that the cost of the mags are rediculously cheap.

Rick

1911jerry,

I see that you live in California which means that it would be illegal for you to buy magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

I also live in California and I use the 10 round magazines for my Glock 34 for USPSA Production. All the magazines that I have bought in the last year have all been drop-free and as far as I know all places that sell Glock magazines sell the drop-free kind now. Clay1 is absolutely correct in that the Glock was originally designed so that the mag would not drop if it was not empty, but drop free magazines have been around for quite a while now.

The magazines that you have seen with little locks on them might have been a regular magazine with a basepad kit that enable more rounds in the magazine. If you are shooting USPSA Production then don't waste your time with these because the rules are pretty clear on what we can and can not do to our magazines.

Bottom line: the Glock 17 should suit you very well for USPSA Production...

Cor

P.S. If you have any hi-cap magazines for the Glock 17 then you can still use them for USPSA Production. If you use it as your first mag and you load it with eleven rounds then you just rack the slide to put a round in the chamber, and you are left with ten in the magazine. That way you don't have to fumble around with swapping magazines at the start of every stage.

What everyone else said. HiCap's are the way to go but 10 rd mags work just fine but can get a bit tougher to stuff with 10 rounds.

The "technical" term for drop free mags is FML or full metal lined. Some of the early hi caps were not FML. All 10 rnd mags I have used are FML.