Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR top end for 3 gun

chi

Alright Ive check the web site from different manufacturers and nobody sells a top end, medium weight barrel with no fromt post and a threaded muzzle for a muzzle brake.

Is this the setup I would need for 3 gun Open rilfe?

They do sell a top end with medium weight barrel and a threaded muzzle end but with a front sight.

Do I need to the rifle to a gunsmith who can build it the I need it?    thanks

Chi:

wow your about the only guy I talk to any more. On the plus side your doing your home work and thats good. Check JP Enterprizes. They make a medium weight flat top upper with brake already installed that is just fabulous!  Also Accuracy Speaks does on too!!

keep checking around I'm sure there are others, but this is where I would start my quest

Ok, here is what my JP full house open IPSC upper mated to my lower with JP trigger group installed cost me.

Competition upper (lo-rail) w/ low mass operating system, large diameter handguard, adjustable gas block (under long handguard), 20" lightweight 1:8 stainless match bbl (not the superlight), full house muzzle brake (not the tactical comp). All of the above was $1000 complete.

The full on trigger setup with speed hammer installed in my lower on oversize stainless pins was $250. Add $75 for the Armalite QD scope mount, $50 for the JP on-scope Optima 2000 mount, $200 for a J-Point (Optima 2000 version sold by JP) because you have to have a red dot for the pistol stages we have to shoot rifle on all too often, but that's another diatribe altogether.

I supplied the Harris bipod & Leupold Scope (any high quality low to medium power variable will work here).

This whole setup makes one hell of an open IPSC rifle. Total cost without scope & bipod on my lower was $1500. Strip away everything but the upper and trigger system and you are at $1250 (you have to have the JP trigger/hammer group to have the low mass operating system in the upper).

I think the value here is incredible. When you see his custom machined competition upper, and feel the JP handguard in person, you will be awestruck. When you check the trigger & shoot it, you will realize that these rifles are worth every penny.

Here is a photo

jp_ar-15.jpg

BTW, anything Accuracy Speaks does is equal to JP's stuff in actual usage and ultimate performance. It comes down to look and feel at this point. I do however, believe that the JP recoil reduction system works better as a whole than a comp alone on any other rifle system, just my opinion.

BTW, BTW, IMHO,  the JP large diameter handguard does indeed fill the hand completely (Kelly, you may be thinking of the slimmer one that some folks are getting on their JP rifles to use with an exposed gas block and match type iron sights).

BTW, BTW, BTW, the prices quoted above are rounded off to the nearest 50 or 100 bucks, and do not include shipping costs.

George is right on.  I think you're right about the slimmer/fatter JP handguards.

Another point to remember is that both John Paul (JP) and Derrick (AS) actively support 3 gunning by donating scads of prizes to matches and last year's Open national rifle match was won by a JP rifle, the year before it was won by an AS  rifle.

I have not seen a Les Baer in action but you'll sure pay for one.  I have not seem them support the shooting sports especially 3 gunning, nearly as much as AS and JP.

As for barrel weight, I'd say medium-heavy is the most popular but I shot a very heavy barrel for three years and liked it.

I wanted to get a 24" heavy bbl on my JP upper, but John Paul recommended that I get the 20" standard lightweight. I am very glad that I listened to him. The upper handles way better with the lighter bbl. The JP 20" lightweight match bbl also shoots better than any longer & heavier bbl I have used before. I am getting 1/2 MOA consistently with Sierra 69's on 25.0gr's of 748, and get just under 1/2 MOA with Sierra 77's on top of 24.0gr's of Varget.

I do all my group shooting at 200yds with this rifle because that is where I like to zero at, and it seems like such a waste to only shoot this rifle at a piddlin' 100yds. I have printed an "Honest To God" 10 shot 3/4" group at 200 yds with the Sierra 77. Not bad for an IPSC rifle. Yeah, I know you don't need that kind of accuracy for 3gunning. I just have to have it anyway, cause that's the kind of guy I am.

I agree with Kelly about match support. These guys really care about the shooting sports. Derrick is a nationally recognized High Power Rifle shooter (Grand Master, I believe), and John Paul is a Master level IPSC shooter. You will always see his name near the top of the rifle standings at the 3gun nationals.

I say, support the folks that support our sport.

Besides AS and JP (support the sport!) if you decide to build yourself an upper, Gunsmoke out of Florida has a good reputation. I shoot a John Holliger (White Oak Precision) upper that was built partly on RRA parts (its really designed for DCM/CMP however). New-guy-on-the-AR-block Les Baer seems to have trouble with customer service; have never heard of him supporting USPSA. And from personal experience, avoid Hesse Arms like the plague! Hesse is the absolute worst, bar none!

Note: there seem to be 3 "sight" camps: small dot, low power optic, or both. If you have searched here (looks like you have done your homework) then the arguments for all camps have been revealed.