Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advancing Movement

carlthefish

Question for the group: When you're advancing forward to a position a few yards away (enough that you're moving at full speed or nearly full speed), how do you decelerate when you enter the position?  I feel that I am slowing down too early, but I don't trust my footwork to stop on a dime without ending up on my rear.  Any tips on footwork and training that skill would be appreciated.

Follow-up question: For a stage that has a "toes on marks" start position where your feet are even, and then you have to forward at the start signal, how are you moving your feet to get a good push off of the start position?

Baby steps, it’s the most effective way to slow down/ stop. You may feel like you look stupid at first, and until it becomes subconscious, you probably will. But who cares.  Watch some videos of KC or JJ. Both of them have extremely efficient footwork. 

Getting started: when you are "standing normally", your knees are pretty straight. You can't walk or run very well with your knees straight. So the first step will take in your chosen direction AND down. The first step doesn't have to be very long. The second step will have more power, if you need to accelerate more for covering some distance.

Usually, I don't have to go far from a starting position, before shooting. Still, a shooting position tends to be lower than "normal standing".

13 hours ago, carlthefish said:

Follow-up question: For a stage that has a "toes on marks" start position where your feet are even, and then you have to forward at the start signal, how are you moving your feet to get a good push off of the start position?

I've found that SOMETIMES a drop step is the best way to get going from these start positions. simply take your dominate foot and step back a half step then push off.