Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Gallery Big Dog Invitational

We need to keep in mind that we're not making a show that IPSC shooters will like, but what the average shooting public will find entertaining.

As good as Saul's DVD's are of the Super Squads, they are repetitive. The average viewer who shoots (not the average IPSC shooter who watches) starts to loose interest because everyone seems to be doing the same stuff.

I'm not going to give too much away this early, but the match USSA will be putting together will be extremely interesting to watch by anyone who takes an interest in shooting.

I guess we've drifted this thread as far as humanly possible!

See you on the range

And I like to think of myself as the average guy right now. I have only shot a few matches, so I find anything shooting related to action shooting very fun to watch. I love Saul's DVDs and I watch them over and over again to see the masters at work. I really can't wait for your USSA stuff to come out either.

Make sure there is a hat cam!!!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting all the top shooters togeather for an action pistol match..... Why not just film the USPSA Nationals Super Squad?? Explain or show the COF's "3D computer diagram would be cool" before they shoot them would make it a lot more interesting IMO.

Which one? There are 4 USPSA nationals now. NOT all of the top shooters shoot USPSA. Koenig for one has not been on a SS in a while and Miculek does not shoot autos at the HG nationals. There is a pretty good group that shoot ONLY 3-gun matches now also and a bunch who do not. Except for Jerry, there was not a major 3-gun match winner in the show.

I liked the show, it was a bit different. I think the stages could have been a LOT better. The last stage was kind of a waste of ammo. The miss penalties were obviously not high enough. Our top shooters burning cartridges without really aiming was anti-climatic. Mike, even though she is MUCH cuter than you, the "play by play announcer" did not add much to the overall production. I agree that showing the stage diagram and an animation of the stage from a shooters perspective would be very cool.

I know it was tuff, but I REALLY think you should do it again Mike. Heck, I'd even offer to help if I thought it would do any good. 10 shooters, 10 stages. One stage designed for each shooters "best" or standout skill might be interesting.

Anyway, thanks MIke (and Robin and Sponsors of SG) for a good show and for this specific match on the show. I really enjoy it, and so do my kids...KUDOS

• 1 month later...

Thanks all...it was an experiment, and to my thinking it didn't work. The shows, however, pulled good numbers and good anecdotal response, and the experience did change the way we covered the Steel Challenge in 2006, which is a good thing!

As much as I might think it otherwise, not everything I think of works out. The hardest thing to remember about competition — and I came to television as a committed competitor — is that what serves the competitor and what serves the competitive market doesn't necessarily work for the general viewer. So from my standpoint as a producer, I have to balance 15,000 competitors to 985,000 general viewers. My challenge is to figure out how to *display* competition shooting to an audience that, to a large degree, isn't interested.

So we try things, and, hopefully, some of them work. To me, some very positive things came out of the match. I got to spend some time with Phil Strader, who I only knew off this list and who turned out to be one of the 3 nicest guys in the world. — I wish him the best in his endeavors and am more than willing to help him in any way I can. Randi Rogers ended up with a full sponsorship from Glock. Roger Sherman and Max Michel keep doing all sorts of stuff for the U.S. military media to raise the visibility of shooting, and Jerry Miculek, the consumate gentleman, got to buy dinner.

A lot of what we learned is being rolled into the Ruger Rimfire Challenge, with the first championship match scheduled for 5 May in Morro Bay, CA, and into some of our other events.

Again, my thanks for all your support!

Michael B

It was interesting to watch, but I find I do want to see more of the women shoot. This would be a general request for all the matches shown on TV.

I am guessing the general populus watching the show is male, but if more of the women were shown shooting, might it not interest these men's wives? Or maybe get more men to have their wives shoot?

Lorrie

It was interesting to watch, but I find I do want to see more of the women shoot. This would be a general request for all the matches shown on TV.

I am guessing the general populus watching the show is male, but if more of the women were shown shooting, might it not interest these men's wives? Or maybe get more men to have their wives shoot?

Lorrie

Julie Goloski with a hat cam!!!