Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building My First Gun Any Opinions

gravedigger

HI Guys, i am finally going to build my first 40, i will be using my para 45 frame with a 40 slide,barsto bull bbl,should i hard chrome it,lighten slide,serrations, what do you guys think is needed i want to build it once and have a very acurate and reliable limited gun Thanks.

Edited by gravedigger

You need time to break it in and make small changes you can't as easily make when chromed. I followed that idea for my previous Open gun, and never did chrome it. For my recent Open gun, I chromed it within a couple months.

I am building my first blaster right now. It is a .45 Para frame with a Barsto Bull .40 barrel and an STI .40 slide. The slide has been lightened a bit and custom milled. The gun will be sent to Tripp late next week for hard chrome. I'll post a couple pics when its back and all together.

Sounds like exactly what you want to build!

Just a heads up, It took five weeks to get the barrel from Barsto. You may want to order that asap if thats the route your going to take.

I am building my first blaster right now. It is a .45 Para frame with a Barsto Bull .40 barrel and an STI .40 slide. The slide has been lightened a bit and custom milled. The gun will be sent to Tripp late next week for hard chrome. I'll post a couple pics when its back and all together.

Sounds like exactly what you want to build!

Just a heads up, It took five weeks to get the barrel from Barsto. You may want to order that asap if thats the route your going to take.

Exsactly what i am doing para45 frame barsto bull bbl but p16 40 slide, it will be lightened, will it really make a difference lightning the slide.

Lightening the slide will change the balance some, the recoil impulse some...but most importantly it will look cool. I built my 40 on an SV frame, standard style, lightened the slide with 12 slots, flatop'd it, and serrated the top. I like the quicker feel than the long heavy frame, heavy slide of an STI that a friend loaned me for a while. Both guns have bull barrels. A bull barrel will change the recoil impulse too. You don't really need to shoot the gun for a year before chroming, it WILL take a bit of shooting before the thing will cycle completely....maybe a 100 roundes before a full mag will run. After it's chromed, resist the temptation to put lapping compound in it, just oil it well, and cycle the slide till all tightness is gone. You want the movement smooth, before you even final assemble it.