Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help with new shooting group

well I don't really know where to post this.

I'm in need for some helpful info on starting a shooting group here in Ft. Worth, Texas. At this time there is not a range within 60-80 miles where you can practice IPSC or IDPA. "NO quick draws or rapid fire." I have found a little known range, that will allow this type shooting. But it will need work and improvements to be accpectable. My queston is what or how should i set this up with the range owner? If our group does the improvements, I want our group to have control of matches etc. He has very little business at this time and I know once we do the work and the word gets out, its going to skyrocket. I just dont want some other group to come in and push us out. So i'm looking for ideas, legal issues, etc to protect our investment of time and money. Our group is just getting started in this area and we could use any help and info that you have.  thanks in advance. Dman

Feel free to email your response if the board is not the right media. Our group is mainly local LEO and DOJ personel and shooters interested in improving their skills. IF there are any of you in our area, and willing to help put this together, let me know! We would be glad to here from you!

Get a legally signed lease for as long as you can with everything spelled out. One of the best clubs i ever shot at lost their range because of a pissing contest over money. It was owned by the local FOP. A bunch of the shooters were LEO, but only one from that lodge. Over the years the range was built into a great range, a bunch of the shooters put on Quals and clinics for the local LEO's in the end all it took was a vote when nobody was around to oppose it. Learn from our mistake and get it in writing. We lost a great club over somebody's greed.

If you get a long-term lease...don't let it run out.

Be viligent and extend it every year.  That way you can't get blind-sided.

Example:

Sign a 5 year lease...after the first year go in and sign a new lease for 5 years...do this every year.  This keeps all the parties happy.  If the range owners plan on letting your lease run out you will know it ahead of time.