Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resize?

Makitaman

Not sure if it's been covered I'm sure it's been talked about but maybe not in detail.  I understand the resize process and if I were to just stick to lube and resize no problem. I  would like to try a few hundred rounds of PC bullets just to experiment with cleanness with any leading. A lot of mixed reviews out there. I understand no lube necessary with PC, but what if you resize after PC is it safe to do without lube? I've seen it done online after PC but yet to see at least a small amount of lube on the bullet. Stands to reason if the firearm has no leading or residue from PC nether should the sizing die. Probably a crazy question, wouldn't the resize die remove some PC and deposit in the die? Even if PC build up is extremely thin, it's got to leave traces. Lube build up has gotta be easier to clean out than PC. Bullet is matched to the rifling for best result but not always the case in resizing it depends on casting molds and PC build up. I guess question is more about, what are the steps in PC bullets if resizing is needed? Got to be a fine line here somewhere. Say bullet is .002 over sized just for example before or after PC then you resize? (Little extreme for most I hope)  Just in case I lost a few trying to explain. Can't wait to see some of these replies.  Thanks 

I'm an avid reloader and have reloaded a ton (thousands and thousands) of rounds. I am at a loss of what you mean by resizing after PC......?

You resize the brass first with lubes casings and then flare the mouth and insert the bullet and crimp and DONE you have a made ready to shoot round. I strictly use coated bullets and have NEVER lubed my bullets once.

I also have seen very little to know reside from the polymer coating in my seating and crimping dies I use. When they get dirty after 5-6K or so I remove the tool head and spray one solvent (bore cleaner etc) in the dies and blow them dry and they are now cleaned. The resizing die I spray very little hornady one shot in it and let it air dry and thats it I'm done.

I'm interested in what you're talking about here. I have also used PC bullets (purple coated) and they run great loading them how I have been. I snagged a few trial packages from an Area match I went to. They were doing giveaways to try and they run good. Just too expensive for my taste. I use Blue Bullets instead or Brazzos. They are the cheapest and accurate for what we do in USPSA.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If I’m understanding your question. I can answer by saying; I have cast and coated thousands of 9 mm and 40 cal. with HI TEK coating. I always size after the final coating. If the coating is done correctly it will not come off. I do spray a little bit of case lube on the newly coated bullets before I size them just to make it easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I know it was a bit confusing. Just trying to get familiar with this new process seems everyone has a different way and outcome. Main concern was resize after coating (not the brass). Probably buy a few from different sources before investing.

Thanks