Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 black out Barrel

Swiley383

Decided to build my first AR. Probably going to build a pistol in 300 black out in pistol configuration. I have look at bear creek arsenal Barrels 10.5 in. Anyone have experience with these barrels? They seem very reasonably priced. I am also open to a 5.56 build but I think in a pistol the muzzle blast will be less with the 300. I currently have no plans to run a suppresser but who what the future holds. This will be a budget  build. So far I have a Areo percussion lower and parts minus fire control group. I do want a nice trigger probably going with a velocity drop in.

I have a 300 Blackout with a 8.5 Bear Creek barrel, I SBR'ed it so it is a rifle. I have a velocity 3.5 lb trigger in it and couldn't be happier with my decisions. I do have it suppressed with an 8" can, and with subsonic ammo it is Hollywood movie quiet. I am going to form 1 a 6" can as the 8" is for my SCAR 17. I just bought an AERO Precision lower, tube and lower parts kit minus the FCG and I already put it together and shot it this past Thursday, quality stuff from Aero Precision. So I think you should be happy with the direction you are going in.

I also have a BCA barrel about that length as well. Mine works well. Still in pistol configuration but runs super and subs with no problem. Haven’t been able to bench it yet for accuracy evaluation but once I get the lower SBR’d I will do that. Subs with a can are nice and quiet.

I agree you should be heading down a good path with it.

That was a question I also had was how well would it run subsonic loads. What gas  length are you running? I bought a trinity buffer tube and buffer assembly. I have also read some people run a heavy buffer. Still have to get a upper and those parts as well.

I have a carbine spring so I will see if I can find a pistol spring and look for a pistol length barrel gas system. I like option of running subs especially for home defense. Anything else I should look for this is my first build. I have a M&P 15 so I have some experience with the platform but always looking to learn something?

• 4 weeks later...

There is zero reason to build/buy a 300blk if you're not going to suppress it. There are better calibers for subs and much better calibers for supersonics. 300blk without a can on it is sub-par at everything and gets boring quickly because no matter what you try to do with it, there is a much better way to do it with a different caliber. The magic of 300blk is being able to go from close range movie quiet to medium range rock and roll with just a mag change - and you can't do that without the can.

My advice is to take the money you'd spend on this build + gear + ammo and buy yourself a versatile suppressor that can do it all so you only need one. The SilencerCo Hybrid is a good example. Spend the money, wait the wait, THEN think about getting a caliber that was purpose built to be suppressed. Besides, suppressors are stupidly fun on any gun.