Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-01 vs P-01 Omega Convertible?

igolfat8

Looking for information between the triggers of these two models. The Omega trigger is supposed to use a different metal in the fire control group. The trigger also looks flatter on the Omega and more rounded on the standard model. Is there a difference in feel between the two triggers And why would one choose one over the other, having never seen or held either in person?

8 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

Will use for CCW and possibly rotating it occasionally into IDPA? Will be leaving it stock or spring swap at the most.

This topic comes up often across the CZ pistol forums that i participate in. While i have never been a a big Omega fan i have read many of the posts that address the subject. This is what i have gathered.

The P-01 Omega and its full size steel framed brother, the CZ75B Omega have always had one stand out attribute in my opinion. As stated above they are know to be a bit better in stock configuration out of the box. This is especially apparent in Single Action. The Omega Trigger Systems (also used in the CZ poly framed P-07 & P-09 pistols) single most significant detractor has been its limited tuning options in contrast to the classic trigger system of the CZ75 variants like the orignal CZ P-01. Omega tuning has come a long way since they were first released. While there are still a few limitations many of the potential tuning options that shooters may find a need for are now available from the custom shops. Regardless of these advancements many 75 Omega owners seam to choose to leave them in stock configuration with a few tweaks as needed.

In my time dealing with a verity of CZ pistol models it has been repeatedly reinforced that CZs of the same model can vary from the factory significantly. I feel that it is advantageous to get one in hand if possible and try it out before buying, especially if one plans on doing minimal tuning. As you are likely aware pistol trigger preferences can be quite subjective.

I am unclear on your point about the use of a " different metal in the fire control group ". This may be the case but the two trigger systems are significantly different from one another mechanically. Here is a link to a few animations of the two trigger systems so that you can get an idea of what i am talking about. The CZ 75 B represents the classic P-01 trigger system and the CZ P-09 represents the Omega trigger system in these animations. 

CZ Action Timing

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=73586.0

The CZ pistols using the Omega trigger system currently have a physical trigger profile that differs from the Classic CZ 75 variants. To my knowledge the factory triggers in the Omegas has changed twice since their inception. Originally they came with a trigger profile much like that of the current factory trigger offered in a number of the classic CZ75 variants including the CZ P-01, CZ SP-01 Safety/Tactical, CZ 2075 RAMI and CZ97BD. This trigger profile was know to give trigger bite in some cases. The trigger was then changed to what i refer to as the Gen 1 Omega trigger. The Gen 1 was also known to give trigger bite in some cases. The trigger was then changed again to what refer to as the Gen 2 Omega trigger. I have personally experienced trigger bite issues with the Original Omega trigger profile and the Gen 1. In my cases the Gen 2 trigger remedied the issue. Here is a reference picture for the latter two Omega triggers.

G1eCiJa.jpg

I have rambled on enough i wish you luck with your CZ acquisition.

Edited by Tok36

If you do go with the Omega, even though you plan on leaving it close to stock configuration, if you do find yourself displeased with some aspect of the trigger there are options available. It would increase the cost but you would not be stuck with a trigger that is not satisfying. There are also a few different tweaking options that do not require replacement parts, just tools and some elbow grease.

Here is a guide about polishing/tuning the Omega trigger system. While this guide includes tuning parts much can still be accomplished without them. For clarity the metal framed Omega CZ models like the CZ P-01 Omega have the frame parts of a P-07/P09 and the slide parts of a classic CZ75 variant like a CZ75B.

How to Tune, Smooth and Upgrade the P-07/P-09

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=66147.0

One more thing to bare in mind is that much like the CZ75 variants breaking the Omega pistols in (500-1000 rounds) can have a noticeable positive effect on the actions. Which ever way you end up going, let us know how it goes. We all learn from this stuff.

I found three Omega’s at a GS about an hour away. They did not have the plain Jane P-01 just the Omega’s. Two had slightly sloppy slide to frame fits and one was the tightest fit I’ve ever seen on a CZ. Triggers were all over the map too. One had a lighter DA pull and noticeably stiffer SA pull while the other two had slightly better DA and decent SA. The tightest one followed me home😁 Can’t wait to start tinkering with it.