Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp Full Length Resizing Dies?

rwmagnus

Who makes a full length 45ACP resixing die?

I have several cases that won't fit in the cylinder of my relovler because the base of the case is too fat. Reloaded 250 the other night and had 50 out of spec.

Okay I'm pretty sure I resolved the problem. I accidently changed the adjustment on the sizing die when I changed the primer punch adjustment in the die. Now having screwed the sizing die down to the shell plate it appears to have solved the problem. I took a couple rounds that were sized incorrectly, pulled them apart and resized the cases. Now they fit.

Still it appears that the RCBS sizing die only resizes about 90% of the length of the case. For now things look good.

I left the post here rather than deleting it as perhaps it could help someone else.

Hi all.

90% of the total length sounds right, there is little use to try to resize the area above the extractor grove, beacuse its solid and doesn't expand in a supported chamber (or does it ever expand?).

I shoot revolver mostly and yes the brass does expand in this area. There is a moon clip that goes around the extractor groove then the problem area is just above it. Granted some of my cases are getting pretty old and perhaps that could be some of the problem. Now that the sizing die is adjusted for it's maximum ablility most of the case are now being sized correctly. Time will tell if I run into any further problems with these cases.

For my 1911's these rounds chamber because of the slides force but in a revolver it's good ole Mother Gravity and sometimes a push from the thumb, LOL. Man it took me forever to see what the problem was in these rounds. Now that I know it seems so simple. It's a new revolver so I was eliminating one variable at a time then bingo the solution!

Edited by rwmagnus

This sounds like another reason to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die

How does a Lee Factory Crimp die help? The problem was sizing not cripming. The base of the case wasn't getting sized correctly. Don't get me wrong I've always heard good things about Lee's crimping die but that doesn't help the situation here.

I was having the same problem with my Thunder Ranch Special. Rounds would check in my Dillon case guage but would not chamber in the TRS. I bought a Lee Factory Crimp die and the problem went away. If I understand how the Lee die works not only does it crimp but it also resizes the brass a second time. If I am not correct please feel free to correct me. I may not know how it works but I know it does work. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
LEE FACTORY CRIME DIE !

It's got a carbine ring that resizes the case again.

.......now that's funny!

But seriously, folks, yes, the LEE FCD does exactly what "rwmagnus" asks, it functions as a second full-length sizing die. After the belling and seating processes have made changes in a sized case, the FCD ensures that the emerging finished round is at or below a diameter that is in spec for that cartridge.