Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimal Appendix Holster & Reholsting

Justin M

For the USPSA divisions that allow for it, can a competitor use a minimal "trigger guard only" style holster such as a RCS Vanguard 2 and can they remove the holster after ULSC to reattach it to the gun and then "holster" the whole affair back into/onto their belt?  I'm also operating under the assumption hat the "lanyard" style holsters are a no-go, due to 5.2.1  ("...in a holster securely attached to a belt on their person..."), but I'm not certain that I'd read it as definitive.

5.2.6 ("However, the Range Master may deem that a competitor’s holster is unsafe and order that it be improved to his satisfaction, failing which it must be withdrawn from the match.") seems to be a possible issue as well, depending on the disposition of the RM, etc.

I apologize if this has been covered before, I did attempt a search, but could not find any discussion.  

I see nothing in the rules that prohibits what you are doing. I looked up the holster,, yeh its not much. Honestly Id say get a better holster and not fiddle fart around, but its your dollar.
As a RO, its not the ULSC part so much its the Make ready. You need to pull it out for that as well ? You gonna sweep yourself with a loaded gun ?

It's still only as much engagement with the gun as a race holster is, really. About the same size as the locking block on the DAA.

There is no rule that prohibits it, of course 5.2.6 gives a RM the ability to disallow a holster if he considers it unsafe. So if the match RM is down you can use it.

I'm not proposing that I'll be using this.  Just considering it as a hypothetical.  I do, occasionally, shoot a carry gun from appendix - but with a more "proper" holster

As a RO, its not the ULSC part so much its the Make ready. You need to pull it out for that as well ? You gonna sweep yourself with a loaded gun ?

That's a good point.  I didn't consider Make Ready.  I assume as long as the competitor didn't sweep his upper body/hands when reholstering, he should be good, right?  Too early to look it up, but wouldn't the same exception/interpretation that allows for a competitor to dangle his fingers under the muzzle of his traditionally holstered gun allow him to "sweep" his weak hand when his clipping his trigger guard holster back to his belt?  I'm not proposing that is a good idea, just a potentially legal one under the rule set.

It's still only as much engagement with the gun as a race holster is, really. About the same size as the locking block on the DAA.

That's a very interesting point. 

I was a bit worried about rule 5.2.1.2 (if you remove your holstered gun from your belt, you’re DQ’d),  but there’s an exception for if you’re under RO supervision, so that would cover you at Make Ready and reholstering at the end of the stage. I’d say to be legal you still need to somehow attach it to your belt (lanyard, etc.) which i assume you would do anyway. As long as you don’t sweep your hand when putting the “holster” on the gun, you should be good, but I would clear it with the MD/RM beforehand and have another option available in case they say no.