Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolvers At The Mn Sectional

Keith

Well,

The 2005 Minnesota USPSA sectional is now over.

At 129 shooters, this could be one of the largest sectionals we have had.

We ended up with 7 revolver shooters. 3 of which were from out of state.

Carmoney took 1st place.

2nd place was myself at 98.9% One damn miss for the match and it came back to bite me in the ass. :rolleyes:

But, most impressive was young Sam Carmoney at 3rd place! Beating out several other very good MN wheelgunners. I don't remember the exact percentage, but I think it was something like 73% or 78%. The results should be up shortly to get the exact number for Sam.

It seems that Sam and his Dad's model 25-2 with major power loads are getting along great! Several of the other RO's made comments on how well he did on their stages.

Since they had to leave before the awards, I have plaques to give to both Mike and Sam when I go down for the Iowa Single Stack match in a few weeks.

4th place went to a friend of mine, John B. who is the person that actually talked me into shooting revolver last year.

Thanks Keith, Dave, and Cliff......

What a weekend! Up at 4 AM yesterday morning for the run out to the Eastern Nebraska Gun Club for the Great Plains Sectional--shot the match (great match, nice folks), and headed north to Hutchinson MN to the Gopher Campfire Club for the MN Sectional, rolled into the Bates Motel at 10:30 or 11:00 PM, just in time to drink a couple beers and reload the moonclips.

In addition to me and young Sam, we took bottomfeeders Brad, Brian, Earl and Jim--all of us and all our gear in my wife's minivan! Great "ironmen", fun trip all the way around.

When I checked the boards at lunchtime, I got the distinct feeling that Keith had shot a pretty good match the day before, and he and I are so closely matched everywhere we go I knew I was gonna have to do really well to get him. I managed to have no misses and no penalties for the day, which it turns out is what I needed to just barely squeak by him. I knew it was too close to call at the end of the match, so I snuck into the stats shack and wrote down all of Keith's scores so I could compare them on the way home--at one point he walked by me, saw what I was doing, smiling inwardly at my emotional fragility..... ;)

Wish I would have had the chance to shoot with the other wheelgunners, and hang around afterwards, but we still had many miles to go to get back home! I didn't know for sure who won until I read this post.

Thanks for the mention of Sam's performance. Yesterday at the GP Sectional, I shot well, and Sam finished at 79% of me. And now again today. I know I'm just a new guy, but I still think he's really doing well. Actually, I have a funny feeling he's modeling himself after Pat Sweeney--with that long-barreled blue 25-2 and almost all A hits......

Anyway, we got to shoot two great matches about 450 miles apart in the same weekend! Can't do any better than that, right? (God, I'm tired.....) :)

Mike

Keith,

Way to go, putting the pressure on Carmoney!!!! Keep up the good work, feels good to get in a good match though doesn't it?

Danbagger.......LOOK HERE!!!!!! :):P:D:lol:

Carmoney, Congrats on the win.... :) You had courage enough to go find a state match where you weren't the only Revolver shooter in it. ;);););)

Young Carmoney, What can I say........Besides.......

"Any one named Sam that shoots A Revolver" Good for you, Keep up the good work and keep the pressure on the old man !!!! :)

Congrats to all, glad ya'll got 7, for some reason here in the south where guns are more "the norm" we don't get as many wheelie shooters as you Yanks up there!(Something wrong with that picture)

See ya'

HOP

Edited by hopalong

I can see the writing on the wall, Sam.

I cannot picture a revolver division in the MN section next year. It was hard enough to get anyone interested in the last two years. Hell, I had to be talked into it last year. I sure am glad, though.

Two of the other usual revolver shooters here have already made their intentions known to me that they are shooting open for the MN points series next year and can't imaginge any new shooters giving it a try, but you never know. We need at least three in a division to make it worthwhile. Or fun.

Me, I'm thinking about shooting limited or production for the MN points race and revolver for most everything else that goes on here just to keep frosty for nationals, area 3, and any other large matches that pop up.

Mike,

I see you guys ponied up the big bucks to stay at the FANCY motel in lovely Hutchinson, MN. :lol:

Keith, our local revolver participation dwindled quite a bit after we switched our match format. Our club used to have one match a month for L and O, and one match a month dedicated to L-10, P, and R. This pretty much forced everybody to find something different that the usual race gun and learn to use it, and we'd often get half a dozen revos at our local matches. Now it's two matches a month, shoot whatever you want--which is good for really grooving in with one gun, but there are only about three of us that are running the revolvers regularly now. That's one reason why I've hit so many bigger matches this year. (Next year I'm going to have to tighten up the belt some--my credit card bills are starting to look downright scary!)

But hey--if everybody would just take their first-born son and do everything possible to commit the kid's life to the ancient art of mastering the revolver, we could breathe all kinds of new life into this division, right?? ;)

Keith, just looked at the unofficial combined division listing--pretty interesting stuff!

Do you realize that we beat like 90 auto shooters (the vast majority of them), even though we were reloading every six rounds? Looks like only one Production shooter (Drazy) and one L-10 shooter (Burford) managed to beat us shooting heads-up.

Not to mention the 34 Open, Limited, L-10, and Production shooters that were bested by a 12-year-old kid shooting a six-shot wheelgun!

I love it!!

Edited by Carmoney

Keith, just looked at the unofficial combined division listing--pretty interesting stuff!

Do you realize that we beat like 90 auto shooters (the vast majority of them), even though we were reloading every six rounds?  Looks like only one Production shooter (Drazy) and one L-10 shooter (Burford) managed to beat us shooting heads-up.

Not to mention the 34 Open, Limited, L-10, and Production shooters that were bested by a 12-year-old kid shooting a six-shot wheelgun!   

I love it!!

You reloaded every six rounds? Maybe that's why you took 1st place. <_<

I seem to remember reloading after pulling the trigger 7 times on more than one occasion. :wacko: You'd think I could count to six by now.