Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc European Shotgun Championships 2006

The IPSC European Shotgun Championships (2006) will be held at Kavala, Greece. It looks like a great location - good beaches, sightseeing and plenty of nightclubs and restaurants.

The match will consist of 21 stages held over 3 consecutive days, 6-8 September, and followed by the shoot-offs on Saturday 9 September.

The prize giving will also be on Saturday 9 September and registration for the match will probably be on the 2 days preceding the start. I have no details about the timing of the opening ceremony.

I understand that the IPSC General Assembly is to be held in conjunction with this match.

Kurt Miller and Pat Kelley both have some experience of shooting IPSC Shotgun matches overseas and I think would vouch that the experience is all good.

In 2003 Kurt was the lone, but rightfully proud, bearer of the US flag at the opening ceremony. The HUGE cheer for him would have been better if shared by some other US shooters.

I have no official tie in with the match organisation but I’m simply trying to support and encourage IPSC Shotgun matches as best I can. I will be happy to answer questions if I can or I will refer them to someone appropriate if I can’t. From time to time I will post updates as I get further information myself. There is also a dedicated thread about the match at the IPSC Global Village (CLICK HERE) although information, other than the schedule is still a little sparse.

You can get some more info about Kavala from the following 3 websites (and there are many more references as well):

http://www.detakav.gr/indexen.htm

http://www.gto.gr/eng/accomm/loc/result.php?loc=KAVALA

Yahoo Travel Guide for Kavala?

Please note that there is no railway station. There is an airport but many flights are transfers from (say) Athens. The nearest international airport is Thessaloniki which is about a 2 hour drive away.

Edited by Neil Beverley

• 4 months later...

ESC_2006_Web_Logo.jpg

I am not an official spokesperson for the match but as I understand it the intention is to focus competitors towards 3 main hotels in the same street in a good central location. If I recollect things properly I believe there is also an apartment style beach hotel just on the edge of the town that will also be used and I think I recall it being said that this will be the hotel for the ROs. The organisers are very, very close to being able to announce all details soon.

It looks as if the range is approx 14-15 kms from Kavala.

Please see map below and I've posted some pictures of the town as well.

I think the last picture might be the apartments hotel (ROs ??) but don't come looking for me if I'm wrong. :D

Kavala_2.jpgKavala_3.jpg

Kavala_1.jpgKavala_4.jpg

I can also advise that the match is likely to consist of (probably) 21 stages (7 stages a day for 3 days Wed - Fri) and will require birdshot, buckshot and slugs. Shootoffs on the Saturday and then prizegiving probably Saturday evening.

I suspect about 12 -14 birdshot stages and the remainder being split between buck and slugs. You can expect the buckshot stages, or at least a couple of them, to include paper targets as well as metal.

I know the intention is to create a very challenging match that will test the accuracy of the shotgun as well as just speed.

I will post more as I get it.

Benny,

Apparently the organisers have already shipped the top 4 Standard class prizes to the US - all you need to do is decide whose name should be engraved on each !

Looking forward to seeing you at SMM, and hopefully we will bring some more cider from OKC B)

Edited by mike.45

Jeff,

To answer in order: this will be dictated by the Greek authorities but I imagine it will be similar to the US method of simply getting an invite to bring the blasters into the country, your slot and special arm band is guaranteed, you get on a plane on the 2nd and the vacation ends on the 10th - with lots of Ouzo, Mezes and half naked girls on the beach to keep us all happy !!! :lol:

I'm assured the paperwork will be a breeze.

The match has been formerly registered with the appropriate Greek Ministry for Sport and they know all about the match. Therefore I really don't expect any significant issues at the port of entry. Furthermore the Greeks have a very relaxed attitude to shotguns anyway.

Finally, I would be amazed if the organizers don't make contact with the primary airports that competitors will be arriving at. One of the organizing committee is an IPSC driving force in the region and is very well connected, very knowledgeable and well respected. He was asked to act in an advisory capacity to help deliver the the Olympic shooting events a year or so back.

That's another story but what I can tell you the custom built Olympic shooting stadium is something else. Think huge, think millions $.

Edited by Neil Beverley

Hi Folks

The message below has just been posted on the IPSC Global village by the RD for IPSC Greece:

Hi folks,

We have the IPSC approval to run this match not by slot allocation, but on a "first come - first served basis". You shoot fast, act fast too!

Gentlemen, start your engines!

By the end of this week, the Regional Directors will receive the official e-mail with the entry form attached.

They can then distribute the form to all interested members of their Region.

This very form, signed by the Regional Director, has to come by post to the Hellenic Shooting Federation HQ.

You could also e-mail your entry form, but, in order to be confirmed, it has to be sent either via the Regional Director, or, the Regional Director has to send a separate confirmation e-mail.

All entry forms must have a passport size photo attached, in order to prepare your ID cards. Persons accompanying you, must have an ID card too, so, please, send their photo and personal details also.

More to come soon, as the web-site is getting full with all the info you need and it will go public almost at the same time with the official e-mail to the Regional Directors.

DVC

Dimitris

If you want to follow the rest of the discussions about this match please click on the link below:

IPSC GLOBAL VILLAGE ESC LINK

I'll post a link to the match website as soon as I have the details.

• 2 weeks later...

The website has just gone live:

IPSC Europrean Shotgun Championships 2006

The match stats summary is:

• 21 stages, 7 stages per day x 3
  • 285 rounds total, subject to C of F approval
  • 15 Stages birdshot with the remaining 6 stages being either slugs or buckshot (both will feature but separately)
  • Buckshot stages will comprise a combination of metal and paper targets
  • Shootoffs on day 4 (Saturday)

This match is operating on a different basis to most IPSC matches. Slots are not being held open for the slow process of take up by regions and the usual formula. Instead slots are being issued on a first come first served basis with justy over 300 slots available in total.

In truth I think most people that want to shoot the match will be able to and this system does make the match very much open to all IPSC affilliated members (members of an IPSC Region such as the USPSA). Anyone can apply directly or through their RD but it all cases the RD must confirm he is happy with the application or it won't happen.

neil,

The application says Sept2-9 but it only looks like 4 days of activities, I am trying to plan travel but not sure what days I actually need to be there/ get there, is there a plan I haven't seen? Kert, have you starated looking at travel yet, let's get coordinated, so the right hand knows what the left hand is doing

I think you will find that the dates include the pre-match and they've simply encompassed all options.

From another question posed on the GV I understand the organisers will try to be a flexible as possible with regards to arrival dates.

The critical schedule is:

• Tuesday, 5 September - Opening Ceremony (it should still be possible to register for the match in the AM)
  • Wed - Fri, 6 - 8 September - Main Match days
  • Saturday, 9 September - Shootoffs (AM), Prize giving and closing banquet (Late afternoon & evening

I suspect Mike and Kurt will try to book the same hotel but I haven't heard anything from Mike just yet. However, I can advise that so far about 20 Brits have booked into the Lucy Hotel. I'll send you an email with the official match hotel details.

Regards

• 2 months later...

UPDATE

The confirmed round count, subject to course review, is:

233 shot shells, 34 slug shells and 36 buckshot shells to a total of 303 rounds.

15 stages will be with birdshot, 4 stages for slug and 2 stages for buckshot to a total of 21 stages.

76.9% birdshot, 11.2% slug and 11.9% buckshot

Buckshot with no more than 9 pellets. (The buck stages are likely to feature both metal and paper targets).

There is still just enough time to enter and I believe there are possibly 5 or 6 guys travelling from the US so far.

The Standard Manual Division (pumps) looks like it could be well subscribed with quite a good number of eastern European countries concentrating on this division.

Standard Division (semi autos) looks like seeing a very strong contingent of the very best shooters in IPSC, not least of all some of the guys frequenting this forum.

The town mayor has offered the town square for the opening ceremony. It's all looking good.

Edited by Neil Beverley

My bank doesnt like the account number for the wire transfer. Does any any know what to do?

Daniel

Had you spotted this post on the Global Village site?

IMPORTANT!

At the ESC Site, at the "Account Details" for applying at the ESC the Swift Code was provided wrong by the Bank.

The correct code is ETHNGRAAXXX

We already corrected the ESC site with the true Swift code.

Thanks Georg M for pointing out this!

George

Otherwise I suggest you contact the organisers via the ESC website: http://www.esc06.gr/

The Match Director is a good guy and he will help for sure.

• 2 months later...