Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer - if you already have a chronograph, the PACT Club Timer would be good.  If you don't have the chrono, get the PACT MKIV.  Both are available here from Brian.  I have the MKIV, it is well worth the extra expense, no question.

Ear Protection - I use Remington green ear muffs b/c that's what I have. They fairly low cost, ~$20-25.  They have a good NRR, something like 31 as I recall, maybe not that high.   In my opinion, as far as the ears go, it depends on your sensitivity to the muzzle report of (1) your gun and (2) the guns of those around you.  The more sensitive you are, the more protection you may need (but still be able to hear the buzzer and RO commands).  Another consideration is what you want to hear when the "range is clear".  I like taking my "ears" off (at least one side).  If you wear plugs and like to unplug your ears, that can be cumbersome(sp?).

I have been using S&W shjooting glasses (yellow being my favorite).  Abount $12 at Wal-mart.

Walmart also has little foam-type ear plugs that rate 33db in reduction.  I try to keep some of these in the shooting bag and some in the car...just in case.

Every 3db in noise reduction rating gives a doubling in actual noise reduction.  Go with a set of muff with at least 25db rating.  They can be had for about $20.  (I use 3M brand's 1440 model)  A good fit is important...as is comfort.

If you have any problems with flinch, you might want to double up with the foam-type inserts that go into the ears and the muffs.  

The PACT Mk-IV is not cheap...but is money well spent.  You can't beat the timer functions.  And, it comes with the chronograph and sky-screens.

I will probably go with muffs. Are electronic muffs really worth it or just go with the standard ones? I am only looking for a timer. I dont reload so I probably wont need a chronograph. I am looking for the most basic & affordable but reliable timer out there.

I think most of the electronic muffs have a lower db reduction rating.  I also think that a highier db reduction rating will help a shooter overcome the natural tendency to flinch when the gun goes off.  

If a shooter can't call each and every shot (it is tough), if the shooter doesn't see the front sight lift out of the notch...then there is a strong possibility that the shooter has a flinch (which is natural and needs training to overcome).  Noise reduction helps.

Ian,

Even though you don't reload now, you should still consider getting the PACT Mk IV, because if you are going to get into this game at all at some point you will want to reload.  At that point a chronograph will really help.

I can't say enough good things about the PACT.  It is a complete timer and chrono.  The Club timer II is $129 and the Mk IV is $199 and that includes the chrono & skyscreens.  It's your call, but if you go the Mk IV route I am fairly sure you won't regret it.  I haven't.

Homero

I used to use the little squishy foam plugs.  However I recently bought a pair of the custom molded ones by Ear Inc. (Available at the gun shows).  The guy there injected a silicone into my ears and made custom plugs.  They are quite comfy, and quiet.  They were worth the $45.

Heh.

I wear the little foam ear plugs.  I think they are absolutely as good as the muffs, and they don't interfere with shooting a rifle (if you're into that sort of thing).  I pilfer them from my Marine Reserve unit, and from the rock-prep lab at my geology department...but they can't cost more than a couple dimes a pair, and if you keep your hands clean, they'll last a while.

For glasses, I got a $20 clear pair.  Don't skimp too much...you'll get a cheap, uncomfortable set that might distort your vision somewhat...that could be bad.  Clear is good, because it doesn't cause your pupils to dilate.  When your pupils dilate, your depth of field decreases, so your target is more out of focus than it would be if your pupil were smaller.

Timers...I still haven't bought one.  Kinda waiting until I get out of school, and can do things besides school work without feeling guilty.  The Pact Timers are as cheap as any.  I have no idea why they are so expensive, except for the limited market.  But seriously, a $10 stopwatch with a microphone activator, and some software and memory, somehow becomes $130.  I don't get it, but there you are.  Maybe if we promoted our hobby of timing loud noises, these timers would become more popular, and the price would go down.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

I shoot a 38 super hybrid and also play in a rock n roll band. When I shoot its orange plugs in the ears and Peltner's outside of the ears. Don't wear them in the band, although I tried the plugs. I have seen so many older guys shouting and saying "HUH?" because of poor ear protection shooting or at work. Once you damage your ears they are finished. Use good quality ear protection. Most is even the 10 cents plugs have a Db rating.

I am thinking about getting the electronic muffs for the advantage's(hear the steel/start signal etc) but would wear plugs too. Now if you are shooting Limited that's different. Sorry for the slight drift but this thread reminded me of the guy at the range I gave plugs to one time. He had 9mm cases stuck in his ears. No kidding.

Of course I recommend the Pact MKIV pretty much for any individual timer use. The incredible range of timer functions, plus the chrono make it the only choice for the serious competitor. And even though you might not be that serious now, if you're like most of the rest, you will be.

I use the Dillon electronic muffs for practice. They're perfect for shooting and conversing with friends. Nevertheless, when competing, I just like the green Bilson or the orange (can't remember the brand name) foam plugs. I've just never liked the feeling of speeding around the range with a headset on. It's a personal problem - many don't even notice.

On glasses, I definitely recommend something with good optical quality. Even before I was sponsored by Oakley, I used (meaning paid for) Ray Bans. In the really old days, I even had a special pair made with clear lenses (for appropriate lighting conditions). (They didn't offer clear then.)

be