Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex 5" confusion

RobfromME

3 hours ago, Drillbit said:

This is a bit disappointing, I can't afford to shoot new ammo.

My Apex barrel was throated shorter than my Stock II. Ream the throat of your Apex and shoot your reloads. 

I got a Clymer throat reamer at Brownells and took care of my barrels. 

(Note: these reamers are not to be used with super hard steel barrels that have been hardened with salt baths or similar methods. Glock, Walther, CZ, etc.  They will ruin the reamer in just one turn.  If you have a hardened barrel to ream you'll need a carbide reamer....or contact @MemphisMechanic.)

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Drillbit I always found the short chamber of the Apex match grade barrels surprising, since they’re aimed at competition shooters.

Needless to say, I’ve reamed a lot of them over the years for myself and other guys to be able to load ammo to 1.130-1.60” lengths.

My problem is with chamber dia.  From what I have measured on factory ammo anything in the 0.177 dia.range at the case mouth drops right in.  I'm sure your familiar with the "plunk and spin test."

My hand loads using cast bullets sized to 0.356, taper crimped, go in, but they need firm thumb pressure..  They chamber and extract while firing, I just don't like the fact they are being forced in to battery. 

Is it possible to just open the chamber  dimensions?

2 hours ago, Drillbit said:

Is it possible to just open the chamber  dimensions?

No, don't do that. The chamber dimension is not the problem. 

It's the short leade (short throat) that is the problem. 

In a short leade the lands of the rifling start more abruptly than you would encounter normally. The ogive of the projectile is actually engaging the lands as the round is chambering. You have to decrease your OAL or ream the throat (not the chamber) to get those lands slightly further away from the chamber. 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:15 PM, Drillbit said:

I got a pic of how far the slid moves before unlocking.  It starts lo unlock immediately after this point.... Very interesting.

I have also found the chamber to be very tight. New ammo drops right in, not much with reloads.

This is a bit disappointing, I can't afford to shoot new ammo.

slide2.jpg.2e5d540f8e7f78a5c5e4e517cc6fa0cc.jpg

I've never had any reload issues dropping in/plunking.   Have you tried doing the same with the factory barrel for comparison?   The 1 (apex) barrel I have stays locked longer, but I can't say for sure that distance equates to time?

On 11/7/2021 at 8:13 PM, BJB said:

No, don't do that. The chamber dimension is not the problem. 

It's the short leade (short throat) that is the problem. 

In a short leade the lands of the rifling start more abruptly than you would encounter normally. The ogive of the projectile is actually engaging the lands as the round is chambering. You have to decrease your OAL or ream the throat (not the chamber) to get those lands slightly further away from the chamber. 

Exactly!

13 hours ago, K-Tex said:

I've never had any reload issues dropping in/plunking.   Have you tried doing the same with the factory barrel for comparison?   The 1 (apex) barrel I have stays locked longer, but I can't say for sure that distance equates to time?

I have tried the factory barrel and everything works good..... But it's throat has been lengthened. 

So I guess it looks like I should look into a longer lead.

27 minutes ago, Drillbit said:

I have tried the factory barrel and everything works good..... But it's throat has been lengthened. 

So I guess it looks like I should look into a longer lead.

I was referring too how far the slide moves back before the barrel starts to drop.   A short throat on a pistol seems like something went wrong (Apex barrel)?   As the other member stated you need too shorten the coal for it too chamber fully.   No telling how much you will need too reduce powder charge?