Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

135gr Coated with HP-38

anonymouscuban

Hey all.

Any of you have experience loading 9mm minor with HP-38 powder?

I'm considering a trade which includes 8lbs of HP-38. I run 135gr coated bullets. I've been using Tightgroup exclusively, running at 140 PF.

Want to hear from some of you before I commit to 8 pounds of this stuff.

THANKS.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Hp38 is hogdon version of Winchester  231. I loaded them like Winchester  231 before but went to Sport Pistol since it’s cleaner and also cheaper.

my load was 4.1-4.2 Gr with 124 Gr JHP @ 1.125-1.130 OAL, 130-132 pf. With 115 Gr RN bullets, I was loading it with 4.6-4.7 Gr @ 1.125-1.130 OAL, 132-135 pf. Chrono’ed with a shadow 2.

It's a great powder for 9mm minor and it will serve you well. I've been running my 124gn coated bullets at 4.2 grains @ 1.14 and get 135PF out of my 5 inch barrel. I also loaded quite a bit of 147's with it before switching to the 124's.

The only thing with 231/HP-38 is that it's very sooty and dirty. Even after a few hundred rounds my hands would be pretty dirty and the inside of the gun would be black. It never appeared to have any effect on function even after not cleaning the gun for at least a thousand rounds or two, but worth mentioning as it was the only thing that annoyed me about it.

I ended up switching to sport pistol when I ran out just because I wanted to try something new.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey thanks fellas. I ended up negotiating more cash out of the deal instead of the powder. I run Tightgroup now which runs a little dirty but I like it otherwise. If I switch, will be to a cleaner shooting powder so it sounds like HP-38 is not it.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk