Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very new to revolver and need advice

Gomar83

It's good you notice things like that.  Every match/Gun Shop/Shooting range is run by humans.  It's up to you to decide if they are run safe enough for your well being.

I've left a gun shop cause of unsafe gun handling.  A week later one customer was shot in the behind.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, Dr. Phil said:

Thanks, got it.

BTW I have seen any number of "sponsored" shooters and pro shooters moving on Outer Limits with finger inside the guard. Watch them online or Shooting USA etc and see for yourself. I do not. But many do! (and when I inquired about it to a friendly RO was told "if they have an AD they get DQ'ed like everybody else. Until then we allow them to do it.

I also have recently shot (my first) 2 USPSA type matches. Never appealed much to me, and, they tend to be on Sundays when my family and I are in church. These are being run on Saturdays. So I shoot my revo and have a ball. So, I have exactly that much experience.

I asked the question mainly because of the way the above responses were worded.

Thanks again,

There is a fine line between finger "inside" the trigger guard and being "outside" of the trigger guard.

Unless you see the finger "on" the trigger, it's a bit of a judgement call.  Angles can affect perception, so unless I see a finger on the trigger it has to be very obvious for me to call.  And usually if the finger is inside the trigger guard it is touching the trigger, or will look to be from the shooters strong side, which is where I usually am.

But as per 2019 SCSA Rules, the following WILL get you disqualified. 

8.1.1.7 Moving (taking more than one step) with finger inside of trigger guard.
8.1.1.8 Finger in the trigger guard during reload, unloading, loading or during remedial action.

Also remember you can argue only if what the RO saw was an offense, not what he says he saw.  The RM is supposed to put more weight in what an RO says he saw, than what you perceived you were doing.