Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building A Ltd Gun On Para

wsimpso1

I am building a widebody Limited/ESP gun in .40 S&W with a Para frame and slide, got a barrel, and am ready to acquire the rest of the parts. So, I am concerned about parts quality and am looking for the benefit of experience... Yeah, why am I building instead of buying? Sorry, too much love for tinkering, and I am used to building or tuning my other guns myself (M-1's and AR15's for High Power, Tactical Rifle, Tactical Shotgun, and my L10/CDP .45).

I am wondering about Chip McCormick's slide stop, safety, sear, and hammer. Good Parts? If you guys would not use his parts, where would you go to fill out this gun?

Next, it is a bushing gun to allow use in IDPA ESP, so would that limit me to a two piece guide rod? Or would a one-piece work? I just have not gotten the distinction yet...

Do the quality of the disconnectors really show up in trigger pull and reset speed?

Any advice you can give a guy on building his first Ltd/ESP is welcomed.

Billski

The Chip McCormick slide stop hammer, sear and disconnector should be of high quality and should be fundamentally drop in down to a trigger pull of 3-3.5#. They can be tuned down further with the sear spring and mainspring, but be careful or your hammer will follow. I would suggest buying one of the matched kits if possible.

Use a mainspring of 16-17 pounds as it will ease the function. Mine is actually a 17 with 2 coils cut off and it never misses, but I wouldn't go that far till you are sure of the ignition.

Go with the Kings ambi safety as it locks itself in on both sides.

I use 1 piece guide rods all the time in bushing guns, they work fine. you can still use a takedown pin in them and pull them out from the back. Just first pull the rod back a little and remove the bushing.

My Para .40 has a Schuemann bull barrel and I love it but you couldn't use it in IDPA as you indicated.

If you can use a fibre optic sight in IDPA, get one from Brazos or EGW. they are great.

If you plan on putting a magwell on your Para and want to still use it in IDPA, best bet is aluminum. I went with the S&A as it allows for seating of the flat factory Para basepads (the +2 Para pads are illegal in IDPA). It is also lighter than the steel counterpart and will keep the gun within the 43oz. weight limitation in ESP.

My 3 Paras have Ed Brown, Nowlin, Wilson, or C&S parts. I haven't had any problems with any of them other than one Wilson extractor that would not hold tension.

I used action parts from Brazos.

Ed Brown safeties.

Misc parts from STI.

Ext ejector from EGW.

Don't know about McCormick action parts. Tried a thumb safety and did not care for it. I have to agree with buying good parts the first time. It will save some bucks in the long run.

I have used the Briley bushing, still fits really well.

Mike

Do the quality of the disconnectors really show up in trigger pull and reset speed?

In trigger pull yes, reset speed probably not. Check this post for prep info, and the Brownells link for trigger job info.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...hl=disconnector

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/N...x?p=0&t=1&i=349

Ed Brown thumb and grip safety

EGW or C&S hammer, sear, disconnector (Tool steel machined parts, no MIM)

Caspian slide

+2 (or 3) on the Buy good parts...