Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P spring confusion

qqq1

I'm getting very confusing info regarding recoil springs for the original M&P40 4.25" and a M&P40 2.0 5". I've been asking around and searching, everyone says these guns use the same springs and I can't find anything saying it's a 2.0 spring. Most people are even saying they use the same guide rod. However, when I compare my own guns the 5" 2.0 has a longer guide rod than the original 4.25". Also, there was about 32 coils on the original and around 42 on the 2.0. I emailed S&W and got a quick replay saying "different part number, they're different". You guys seem to have much more direct experience here. Are we sure it's the same ISMI recoil spring for both guns despite the differences I'm seeing?

Edited by qqq1
fix wording

5 inch 2.0 is a different set up from the first gen, the first gen used the same set up in the 4.25 and 5 inch but the 2.0 is longer. I have not purchased a 2.0 in anything but 5 inch so I do not know how the 4.25 compares in the new models.

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. Everyone kept insisting they were the same but just like your pic they're clearly different side by side. Do you know of a spring that will work in the 2.0 5"?

Im not sure if its caliber specific or what, perhaps thats where some confusion lies, but my 9mm 2.0 5" has the same spring assembly as the blue painted one in the picture. My 40 2.0 5" has the same spring as on top in the picture.

P Taylor, what caliber is your 2.0 5"? You didn't specify.

Edited by mpeltier

1 hour ago, mpeltier said:

Im not sure if its caliber specific or what, perhaps thats where some confusion lies, but my 9mm 2.0 5" has the same spring assembly as the blue painted one in the picture. My 40 2.0 5" has the same spring as on top in the picture.

Well... dang it.