Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Vs .40 Cal For Open

oct_97

I'm getting ready to build an Open gun with a Red Dot using either a G-34 or

G-35. Which do you think is best for a 63 year young guy regarding recoil & muzzel flip, 9mm Major or .40 Cal? Also, is there a great deal of difference between a 6 ported and a compensated barrel? I reload and can tailor the loads as necessary. Thanks in advance.

John

I would recommend 9mm. There is an extemsive amount of data here, Do a search for 9 Major or posts by my handle

Alan

PS. I shot a .40 in Open for Twelve years and with current PF of 165 there is no reason to not shoot a .355 caliber in open.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions

I very much agree with the above. I built a G17 open gun with great information from other members of this forum, and I couldn't be happier. Definitely go with the 9mm for open. You will be happy you have those extra rounds in the mag.

Brian F.

The 40 will feel a little softer but the additional rounds in the 9mm make it a better choice. If recoil with the 9mm is to sharp you can go with a heavier bullet such as a 135 or 147 gr.

We build a lot of open Glocks pretty much evenly split between ported barrel, and a standard comp design. The Comp will work better, but the ported barrel is cheaper.

The JPoint or Doc Dot works extremely well on the Glock when buried into the slide. I strongly recommend it on the Glocks..........

Im going to build an open glock i think, what i was wondering is - has anyone tried certain barrels, comps, whats best. what not to do. i noticed KKM sells a competition barrel and comp for about 250-260.. seems reason able.. if so whats better, they have a 3 or 4 port model (looks like 2 or 4, dont know where they get the 3 from) and i seen one somewhere that was 4 on top, and 2 small holes on each side... I also wanted a longer barrel,, so do i buy one for a 34 or does anyone make one thats longer for accuracy and to bet better velocitys, that still looks good and fits flush???

9MM. If you are going to run a ported barrel, the 34 works. If you are going

comped, consider a 17. The 34/35's get pretty long with a comp. I have considered building a shorty on a 19. Might do it this winter.

I ran a G35 last year. 6 port Lone Wolf barrel, Carver Competition mount,

PDP5-CMP Tasco dot. Ran fine, shot soft. Lower mag capacity compared to

the 9 is the negative factor.

This years gun is a G17. 8 port comp with 2 blow holes in the barrel. melted in

3rd gen bullet-proofed 7 moa Docter dot. THE brass magwell, DIY trigger.

Weighs 30.4 oz. empty. Shoots flat, and is really quick. Runs 100% on a diet of 124 FMJ over HS-7, WSPM primers.

9MM. If you are going to run a ported barrel, the 34 works. If you are going

comped, consider a 17. The 34/35's get pretty long with a comp. I have considered building a shorty on a 19. Might do it this winter.

I ran a G35 last year. 6 port Lone Wolf barrel, Carver Competition mount,

PDP5-CMP Tasco dot. Ran fine, shot soft. Lower mag capacity compared to

the 9 is the negative factor.

This years gun is a G17. 8 port comp with 2 blow holes in the barrel. melted in

3rd gen bullet-proofed 7 moa Docter dot. THE brass magwell, DIY trigger.

Weighs 30.4 oz. empty. Shoots flat, and is really quick. Runs 100% on a diet of 124 FMJ over HS-7, WSPM primers.