Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wsf With 230gr Fmj Or Plated

alzo

Have any of you tried Winchester WSF powder with your 230gr FMJ or plated loads ? It seems like it would be a reasonable choice for velocities in the 850fps ballpark. Anything positive or negative to relate ? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it a while back and didn't like the results. I had to go to the max load (6.6 grains) to get 800 fps, and then it didn't burn cleanly - it was as bad as old Unique. Good things about it are that it's low flash and accurate. It worked much better in 9x19. I just wish there was published data for .357 Mag, where it showed potential as far as I was willing to SWAG the loads.

I have since changed to 6.3 grains of new Unique for FMJ, and 4.8 grains of Bullseye for RNL. Both are factory duplication loads in my guns.

Have any of you tried Winchester WSF powder with your 230gr FMJ or plated loads ?  It seems like it would be a reasonable choice for velocities in the 850fps ballpark.  Anything positive or negative to relate ?  Thanks.

I used WST in both revolver and 1911's. It's a good powder. My 1911's I used a 230gr FMJ and revolvers got a 200gr FMJ. Swithed to Titegroup and have been pretty happy with it but am now expiermenting with Clays. Looking for a fast powder that feels soft shooting the 230gr RN FMJ.

Overall WST metered the best but was dirtier than Titegroup.