Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Magwell Ok With Stock Mags?

boo radley

Hmm...trying to get a G35 set up for L10 (initially) and later Limited. Modifications and accessories I know I want, are a CR-Speed holster (since I have one for my 1911, and like it), Dawson/Heine sights, the Ralph S. trigger kit, based on postive reviews here, and a tungsten guide rod.

I'm not so sure about the magwell. Do y'all consider it a "must-have?" First, it's already much wider and easier to hit than my 1911 SS. Second, there seems to be a vocal minority that has had problems with them. Finally, will something like the THE brass magwell work with stock 15 and 10 round Glock mags -- ie, no basepads or special baseplates?

Thx

David Sevigny

Limited Grand Master with a Glock 35

No magwell

Jason Jones

Brass magwell (if I recall correctly)

Me

No magwell

Armando Valdes

Limited Grand Master with a Glock 24

Don't know if he used a magwell or not.

I think there are 3 other Limited Grand Master that got to that level with a Glock, a G-20:

- Tom Dean (? I think he made GM with a G20, then switched?)

- Swede20 (Dave Erickson? with a G20)

- Rich Redovian (Idaho SC, I think he made it with a G20?)

I don't consider a magwell as a "must have".

What is important is learning to properly execute the reload.

I took some metal off the bottom of my Glockmeister brass magwell with the intention of using stock mags. Gave up on that idea after some dryfire mag changes. There's just too much metal in the way to seat a flat Glock mag with one smooth motion. Takes a 2nd 'slap' to get it in there.

My T-H-E magwell from CGR is even a little bigger. I left that one stock. I still use a flat Glock mag as my 1-round-only stoker mag, I seat it with my thumb.

Any of the magwells will work fine if you put Glock or Scherer +2 pads on the mags. They're cheap.

I took some metal off the bottom of my Glockmeister brass magwell with the intention of using stock mags. Gave up on that idea after some dryfire mag changes. There's just too much metal in the way to seat a flat Glock mag with one smooth motion. Takes a 2nd 'slap' to get it in there.

My T-H-E magwell from CGR is even a little bigger. I left that one stock. I still use a flat Glock mag as my 1-round-only stoker mag, I seat it with my thumb.

Any of the magwells will work fine if you put Glock or Scherer +2 pads on the mags. They're cheap.

Thanks, Eric, and the rest of y'all -- very helpful information.

I went ahead and just ordered the THE magwell, anyway; it seems a cheap enough experiment, and, based on the above, picked up some of those colored Jenta bumper pads, for the stock mags. I'm hoping this will increase the length *just* enough to allow use of the cheap 10-rounders for L-10; once I start shooting Limited, I'll go ahead and get the Arrendondo (sp?) or Dawson extensions, and some additional hi-caps.