Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing A Comp On Ar15

Cameron

I have a new DPMS with a flash hider that I would like to remove and install a Mickulik comp on.

First question is, do I need to heat the flash hider to unthread it? Any special tool?

Second, should I use RED loctite on the comp when re-installing it?

How about indexing correctly for a RH shooter?

Thanks for input.

The method of removal of the comp depends on the method of installation.

Some ban era guns have the comps or flash hider pinned on. In that case, I would suggest a gunsmith remove it or you may damage the barrel threads.

If it's a normal installation, all you need to do is turn it off.

No locktite is needed for installation. The Miculek comp comes with a small nut that will lock the comp in place. Position the comp straight and back the small nut tight onto the comp.

good luck

How about indexing correctly for a RH shooter?

The Miculek comp does not have ports that face the top, so index it to the top. You wont gain anything by canting that type of comp.

Tell that to Jerry M. ;)

I use the comp myself. Ive experimented w/ canting the comp. It didnt make any difference. I think it is an excellent comp.

Sounds like a 16" Carbine DPMS, the flash hider unscrews right off, and the JM goes right on. I asked the same questions last week about the cant and locktite. Blue was suggested there.

Only odd thng with Jerry's comp, my DPMS multitool was a litle too thick to tighten it on, had to dig around to find the right size that would fit.

I just installed my Miculek comp. on my AR-15. I now have crappy groups that are 6" low at 20 yards and all of the bullet holes are sideways onto the target. Like the bullet is spun sideways instead of going straight in.

Checking the hole in the comp. I see brass rubbed off onto one side of the hole.

Going back to Brownell's unless someone knows of an easy fix.

I just installed my Miculek comp. on my AR-15.  I now have crappy groups that are 6" low at 20 yards and all of the bullet holes are sideways onto the target.  Like the bullet is spun sideways instead of going straight in.

Checking the hole in the comp. I see brass rubbed off onto one side of the hole. 

Going back to Brownell's unless someone knows of an easy fix.

sounds like your threads or the comps threads are not square. Call brownells and explain the problem. They will likely send you a new one and pay for the return shipping of the old one.

SGT

Do you have picture of your installation?

Did you follow installation instructions?

There is a diffrence which way you put the locking ring on the barrel.

You can see the diffrence by taking that locking ring out and check the threads of that locking ring.

I have installed more than 20 of those Miculek Comps and never had problems.

No instruction with the comp.

No pictures, but I did have a burr on one small area of the end of the comp hole. You could easily see it when looking down the barrel from the chamber area. Took the burr out and will test fire today.

Cameron,

There was just a thread on this topic, lessee:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26981

I think that you will find it useful. I have Miculek on my three-gun rifle, and when I think about it, it has a lock ring. I would clean throughly and use blue Loctite per my posting. It works on both of my comped rifles and both of my High Power rifles with flash hiders.

Billski

Does anybody have a way to keep gas from infiltrating the barrel threads and causing carbon deposits?

I've pulled a few comps that stripped the barrel threads due to hard carbon deposits.

Billski,

Great post you sent me, good ideas. I installed the break at 12, without any loctite. I will shoot it a bit this weekend and see what I like.

Thanks to all for your thoughts on this!!

Cameron