Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at a transitional cz 75 for uspsa backup and some idpa

TobyJ

Thanks, Bob, but the Shadow slide was never part of my plan...the thread got a bit sideways, and that was someone else's build.  My plan is to just put some upgraded guts into a transitional,  and I was asking about that plan as opposed to buying a used shadow, which I have not been able to find too many of around here.

So my build should fit into SSP or ESP.

Toby

23 minutes ago, robertbank said:

Well if nothing else you could always use the gun in ESP. in IDPA.  That said,  the CZ75 Transitional frame is not identical to the Shadow frame.   The gun you created by marrying the two would be fine for ESP but miss the mark for SSP as it is not a gun made by CZ.  My take anyway.

There are lots of Shadows floating around up here used.  I get the US market is different and Shadows might be a bit harder to find.

Take care

Bob

12 minutes ago, TobyJ said:

Thanks, Bob, but the Shadow slide was never part of my plan...the thread got a bit sideways, and that was someone else's build.  My plan is to just put some upgraded guts into a transitional,  and I was asking about that plan as opposed to buying a used shadow, which I have not been able to find too many of around here.

So my build should fit into SSP or ESP.

Toby

Have you checked the CZ Forum for used Shadows?  I've seen several in there at different times.  Sometimes more of the pricey AccuModels, but sometimes the basic ones too.  You could always put a Wanted To Buy notice there too if you join up.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php

(and technically, it's someone else's Shadow  😉)

Also, someone like Cajun Gun Works can slick up a regular 75B or Sp-01 (even the 'Tactical' models with decockers) to apparently feel as nice as a non-firing pin block Shadow too, and it would still be SSP-legal as the works would be internal and all visible parts are allowable.  But by that time, the time and money spent may just be more than getting a Shadow and tuning it yourself.  I still think that to best approximate your Shadow 2 (I had one a little while back), you'd be best off with a manual-safetied, non-firing-pin-block format.   Do you have a price range that you would consider for a used Shadow?

Edited by MoRivera

I do check the classifieds there and over here, and I was going to put up a WTB thread, when I came across the idea of building my own from a pre b.  Hence the original purpose of this thread, to hear pros and cons of each plan.

So far, I haven't heard any good reason to not go the build route...I found an importer who deals in transitionals, and adding in the cost of things like hammer, extended firing pin, sights and such, I believe I can build a very solid gun, which in some ways will be better than a stock shadow, for less than the cost of a new stock shadow., and probably on par with a used one...and, I like projects.

Now if a used shadow pops up at a good price, I might rethink this, or I might do both 🙂

Toby

Yes you can replace internal parts in IDPA with facotory parts from other factory guns which is your plan and your gun would be fine for SSP or ESP.  I would guess more competitive in SSP.  From observation, all the part swaps and mods allowed in ESP that you cannot do in SSP have little to no effect on shooters scoring.  One only has to look at the scores at the US Nationals and the difference in results if any between SSP and ESP.  They do make us all feel good and I am as much of a gun whore as the next guy.  At the end of the day I amafraid it is still the same shooter.  😉

jI had a 1988 CZ 85 Combat that has a zillion rounds through it.  It had the nicest trigger I have ever pulled.  Sweet as it was it also had the round cut dovetail adjustable rear sight and I could not find a replacement so I sold it.  Not the smartest thing I have done but it is what it is.

Take care

Bob 

ps I have a relatively new Shadow in the safe and it has one of the worst triggers I have pulled.  CZ has thrown all their efforts on the 2.  The Shadow I have not is not the one I had several years ago.

Edited by robertbank

3 minutes ago, TobyJ said:

I do check the classifieds there and over here, and I was going to put up a WTB thread, when I came across the idea of building my own from a pre b.  Hence the original purpose of this thread, to hear pros and cons of each plan.

So far, I haven't heard any good reason to not go the build route...I found an importer who deals in transitionals, and adding in the cost of things like hammer, extended firing pin, sights and such, I believe I can build a very solid gun, which in some ways will be better than a stock shadow, for less than the cost of a new stock shadow., and probably on par with a used one...and, I like projects.

Now if a used shadow pops up at a good price, I might rethink this, or I might do both 🙂

Toby

Yeah a build would be fine unless you were looking to stay in Production, and then like mine it would have to be virtually identical to a Shadow in as many technical details as possible.

As far as parts, yes I as well put an 85C trigger, Cajun springs/disconnector, extended pins, adjustable sear and interior polish in all my CZ's, and I liked the results much more than even when I bought my AccuShadow new.  Probably end up saving some, but still approaching a base Shadow used.  But it's also fun customizing your build.

Momentary tangent again, but here's a a 'longside' that I put together, and shoot Limited in USPSA with.......

Longslide.jpg

23 minutes ago, robertbank said:

jI had a 1988 CZ 85 Combat that has a zillion rounds through it.  It had the nicest trigger I have ever pulled.  Sweet as it was it also had the round cut dovetail adjustable rear sight and I could not find a replacement so I sold it.  Not the smartest thing I have done but it is what it is.

ps I have a relatively new Shadow in the safe and it has one of the worst triggers I have pulled.  CZ has thrown all their efforts on the 2.  The Shadow I have not is not the one I had several years ago.

Yeah, I've also tried a couple of 85C's, and they've been super nice right out of the box/stock.  A factory nickel one in particular was a work of art.

And like you, my AccuShadow's trigger when new was quite disappointing.  This was supposed to be 'worked on' by CZ Custom and for the price I was nearly appalled.  Probably should have returned its but I got a good price on it so I replaced and worked over the internals myself.  Yet more incentive to build one.

Edited by MoRivera

Oh, another thing in favor of going the Shadow route is....sights.  The Shadow rear sight sits deeper into the frame than the regular 75B/SP01.  Not that you can't get good aftermarket sights for a regular 75B, but I think there's a greater variety of 'target/competition' style sights for the Shadow cut.  Or say if you really like your stock Shadow 2 sights and want to maintain that same picture/rear profile, you can even put the Shadow 2 sights on the Shadow I slide like I did in my AccuShadow above.  Just something else to consider.

SP01_Shadow_copy.jpg

CZ_75B_copy.jpg

I like on the Shadow with it sitting deeper in the frame, a big rear sight seems to blend in more with the rear frame's profile.