Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot sights and co-witnessing

GregInAtl

I recently bought an M&P CORE Pro Series and have mounted a Burris Fastfire III on it. I have heard the term co-witnessing used a lot on various forums. Exactly what does that mean and how does one co-witness using a red dot sight?

Edited by GregInAtl

Co-Witnessing means to be able to see the iron sights and align them thru the glass of a red dot sight. It’s a means of having a back up sighting system available in case of dot failure. Lots of times that means a higher than traditional iron sight is needed. I am pretty sure the M&P Cores come with tall irons that will accomplish this.

An easy way to get a good start on zeroing your red dot would be to adjust it so that the dot sights right on top of the top edge of your front post when the front and rear are aligned. You might still need some adjustment to get it dead on but this will be close.

This will also make “finding the dot” a little easier for you until you get some reps in and train past that problem. Just draw the gun and align the irons like a normal gun and boom- there’s the dot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

Co-Witnessing means to be able to see the iron sights and align them thru the glass of a red dot sight. It’s a means of having a back up sighting system available in case of dot failure. Lots of times that means a higher than tradition iron sight is needed. I am pretty sure the M&P Cores come with tall irons that will accomplish this.

thanks for responding, yes the M&P CORE does have the tall suppressor sights.

Are you supposed to adjust you red dot so that the dot lines up with the iron front sight?

Edited by GregInAtl

I have a Walther Q5 Match with a Trigicon Dual RMR. I ended up taking off the front sight as I could not co-witness. Assuming your front sight is correctly positioned the bullet will fall in the right location, but the (physical) height of your Burris also comes into play. On my gun I simply could not get the red dot low enough to align with the front sight, so removing the front sight took it out of the equation and I was not trying to find both the front sight and the red dot. If I mill my slide and lower the red dot that will help, but I'm currently mill less.

I have a Walther Q5 Match with a Trigicon Dual RMR. I ended up taking off the front sight as I could not co-witness. Assuming your front sight is correctly positioned the bullet will fall in the right location, but the (physical) height of your Burris also comes into play. On my gun I simply could not get the red dot low enough to align with the front sight, so removing the front sight took it out of the equation and I was not trying to find both the front sight and the red dot. If I mill my slide and lower the red dot that will help, but I'm currently mill less.

I do not believe the Walther Q5 match has correct co-witness height sights. And unless I’m mistaken, totally possible, the rear sight comes completely off when you mount the dot. When you are co-witnessing through the optic you should not need to bottom out the red dot adjustment. If both the rear notch and front post are able to be aligned inside/thru the glass then it will likely take minimal adjustment to position the dot correctly over the front sight. If you are trying to do that without a rear sight you are definitely not going to be zeroing the dot. If you don’t have the ability to correctly align the front and rear sight thru the RD then you should ignore the front sight post when you Zero the dot.

6 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

I do not believe the Walther Q5 match has correct co-witness height sights. And unless I’m mistaken, totally possible, the rear sight comes completely off when you mount the dot. When you are co-witnessing through the optic you should not need to bottom out the red dot adjustment. If both the rear notch and front post are able to be aligned inside/thru the glass then it will likely take minimal adjustment to position the dot correctly over the front sight. If you are trying to do that without a rear sight you are definitely not going to be zeroing the dot. If you don’t have the ability to correctly align the front and rear sight thru the RD then you should ignore the front sight post when you Zero the dot.

How do you zero the dot.............I am new to red dot sights

If you have no experience with a red dot sight or how to operate or zero a dot, it really isn’t that hard. First, set up a USPSA sized target and put a paster on the white side in the center of the target. After your dot‘s been mounted but before you make any adjustments I would recommend the following. Start by firing one shot at 5 yards holding the dot on the paster and being careful to make the shot as accurate as possible. If the impact is within several inches of the paster in any direction I would back up to 10 yards and fire another shot. If the dot is still within several inches of the paster I would then back up to 15 yards and fire a group of three. I would then consult your manual and make adjustments to the site accordingly to bring the shot on to the paster from the center of the group that was fired. This might take a few groups to accomplish a good zero. To finish up I’d fire a 5 or 10 round group to confirm the gun is grouping is consistently. You can replace 15 yards with whatever distance you would like to have the gun zeroed at. If the bullet impacts considerably far away from the paster at the closer distances you may need to make large adjustments from the start to get the bullet impacting near the aiming point so that you are on paper at the further distances.