Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring issue?

hummerbk

I'm shooting a gen 4 Glock 35 .40 cal. for IDPA. My load is 3.4 Titegroup behind a 175 coated SWC. This load has a power factor of around 139 which is well above the 124 minimum. I've fired probably 4 or 5 thousand rounds with zero problems.
I had multiple issues last week with the slide failing to return to battery. Most of the time the round was partially into the chamber but other times the round was at an angle with the nose pointed into the chamber.

I detail stripped and cleaned the pistol and installed a new Wolf striker spring 6lb. and a trigger spring. I fired 100 rounds today and the pistol is working BUT it is barely ejecting the brass.

The empty brass rises about three inches above and goes eight or ten inches to the right sometimes even hitting my knuckles.

This can't be right. As far as I know it has always done this but I can't say for sure.
My thoughts are that the recoil spring is too stout for the load.
I shot the same load in a friends 35 and it does the same thing.

Any ideas as to the problem and if a new spring is needed what poundage?

With the empty gun, rack the slide, point the muzzle up, pull the trigger and hold it back.  does the slide drop slightly?  If so, replace the recoil spring, if not , then it's OK.

Take you barrel out of the gun, and drop you rounds int the chamber to see if they are chambering correctly.

Your OAL may have changed.

The barrel may have some of the bullet coating at the end of the chamber.

Look at these first.

7 hours ago, RePete said:

With the empty gun, rack the slide, point the muzzle up, pull the trigger and hold it back.  does the slide drop slightly?  If so, replace the recoil spring, if not , then it's OK.

Take you barrel out of the gun, and drop you rounds int the chamber to see if they are chambering correctly.

Your OAL may have changed.

The barrel may have some of the bullet coating at the end of the chamber.

Look at these first.

Okay. The slide doesn't move and I do a chamber plop test on every round after reloading. It is possible that dirt had built up somewhere because after i detail stripped and cleaned the pistol it functions flawlessly. I am concerned that I am operating right on the ragged edge of functionality as far as ejection goes. I have been trying to find reduced power springs that fit a gen 4  model 35 and can't find one anywhere. There are people selling a reducing bushing for using loose springs. If necessary I can do that but reviews for that bushing are all over the place. Do you know where I can get springs?

The factory springs are fine.

I have 2 34's, a 35, and have had a 17.  They all run the factory spring with full loads and reduced loads.  I see a lot of problems that shooters have when they go to lighter springs.

You have Brownells, the Glock Store, Glockmeister, Rock your Glock.