Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I realize that the text under the avitar has nothing to do with the exerience or knowledge of the poster,  but as the 'eternal newbie' I never felt like I was really a part of the ' council'.  I've been slowly creeping up to the 250 posts point and I think I'll get the 'man of knowledge' text then.  I wanted to mark 'my last dot'  with a post that I thought might actually help someone if they happened to read it.  

What I learned from my first big match.

First I learned that I wasn't prepared enough.  I had all my equipment ready but there were several areas that I wasn't ready for.

-I'm a low percentage 'C' class limited shooter.  I practiced 15yd accuracy before going but I learned that in my skill level this was the most important factor.  I should have spent more time practicing that.  Draw and reloads are very important but considering how many times draw speed may be a factor,  accuracy training may get you there faster.

-While cleaning my blaster the morning of the match I found a broken firing pin spring.  I luckily had extras,  but as I waited so long to clean before the shoot I considered not cleaning and just shooting.  Always clean and do a detailed strip before a match.

-Endurance is a huge factor.  The round count is really turned up for a big match,  I found just holding my blaster up for so long during a stage was tiring and causing fatigue.  I will do some specific weight training for my next one.  Holding a weight at my chest and pushing out,  holding it at arms length,  stuff like that.

-I squaded with some exceptional shooters.  These competitors approach a stage much different than any local match I had seen.  Stage ettiquette is a must.  There is only a small amount of time to 'dope' the stage before the squad starts.  You should get a stage layout before the match starts,  study that and decide on your reload points before you get to the stage.  You don't have time to 'think' all that through then.  Good shooters are 'ready' and practice a stage at the same speed they shoot it at,  becareful to not get in the way.  The person you squad with could win the match!!!  Three on my 5 man squad won plaques.

-Don't be afraid to ask for an overlay.  I saw a great example of the rules being applied to a soft cover miss.  The powder burns told the story.  If the shooter had not stood his ground it would have been a mike,  instead he got an A.  I also saw a popper calibration test.  It was quick and efficient.  If you shoot minor don't hesitate.

-I worried alot about the chrono stage.  They had the light box as described in the last Front Site.  I've decided to check my loads under a varying state of cloud cover  and temps if possible.  I saw lots of 165's.  Too close for me!!!

-My squad was great!!! We gathered before the start and agreed on OUR pace.  We never advanced to the next stage untill we were all loaded and ready to go.  A big match is no time to feel rushed.  I will always suggest that approach.

-I had the benifit of some increadible advise.  Find someone to explain hit factors on each stage before you shoot.  Many times at a big match there is negative benifit in actually finishing the COF.  If the array is hard at your skill level you need to decide how many misses you are willing to accept before moving on.  This is a time AND accuracy event.  Sometimes leaving a few will be smarter,  it's all in the math!!!

-Don't change anything during a match.  I used a mag that I usually didn't practice with.  It cost me a stage.  Keep all your quipment the same.  If someone trys to 'help' you during the match try and meet them after your shooting.  You don't want to try and figure out something during the match.  Masters can change and adapt,  us mere mortals have to prepare and preform.

-Use any tool or technique to focus and not get tense.  I blew one stage because I was watching the better shooters in my squad dope the stage.  They had a great way of running it,  fast and efficient.  I ran the stage twice, ( a reshoot because of a scoring error) and shot it bad twice.  I should have doped it my way and just shot.  

-Take the time after the match to add up your hit factors.  You will get a copy of your stage results after each stage. Add up your hit factor and compare it to the postings.  Points divided by time.  Just a few points could help!!!

-Relax and be prepared to have the time of your life.  Find as many of the be.com posters that you can.  ( wearing the shirt will help!!!)  The people that post here are the greatest!!!   Don't miss out on the fun of being social with this group.  I know I won't miss another chance.

Sorry to ramble about this but those who know me,,, well 'nough said.  I wanted to post this in the area I felt would get read the most,  I realize it is mostly oriented toward newbies like me but I hope that any veterans would add anything they think us newbies may need to know to enjoy the big match exerience more.

Hope this helps.

P.S.  Glad I got that out of the way so I can go back to my usual senseless drivel!!!

Hey 3/4time, glad we got a chance to shoot together.  There are so many little tips and tricks you could never put them down all in one place, and even if you could the recipient could never absorb it all with effect.  Better to learn some, and then practice those techniques until they become natural and the need develops for more.  The need will develop as long as you play this game.  There are so many more things I want to add to my regimen and pefect.  

Rule #1 - there is a lot of time and money invested in each major match.  If your equipment is not running perfect it will sink your effort before skill and match sense ever get to play a part.  Your magazine story is a good example.  For a match , I drop check each bullet, visually check each primer, wipe each bullet down with a silicon cloth beore loading, and if a mag touches the ground in a stage it comes apart and gets cleaned before moving to the next stage.  Open guns can be especially finicky!!  

If at a local match or practice session I ever had a magazine give me doubt, I mark that mag and use no other for many hundreds of rounds until I can be sure there is no problem.  Never bring an unknown element into a game that is won or lost by fractions of a second.

You might also want to consider adjusting your holster position.  Stand sideways to a mirror.  Let your arms hand natually at your sides and notice the angle of your arm between the wrist and elbow.  The barrel of the gun ought to match that angle, and the grip of the gun ought to be in line vertically above your hand when it is hanging naturally at your side.

Equipment, skill, and match sense all play a part, and equipment is the easiest to resolve and having the least number of subjective variables.  

Thanks Bill,  just hope I can get all those things l learned ingrained before my next big one!!!  ( Hope you don't mind me using your credo as my signature.  It's simple and works!!!)

BamBam,  enjoyed shooting with your 'crew' too.  Hope to get a chance again soon.  Thanks for the tip about the holster.  I've worked on the placement for a few months now.  I'll use the mirror and try and get it more natural.  

Ok my one complaint about my first big one.  Not enough time to study under the great shooters.  It would be cool to shoot the match then run through again for fun.  Imagine what you could learn!!!

• 2 weeks later...

3/4 time.

Great post.

The only change I would make is the title. You put "First Big Match" The lessons you learned (and shared) are invaluable. Everyone should read it - once now to prepare and once before a major match.

Thanks!

JB

Thanks Jack!!!

I have lots of people to thank for sharing with me during that match and all the locals leading up to it.   I think that going to a big match and meeting the good shooters that I did was just at the right time for me.  I don't think I would have learned or been aware enough to see it all earlier.  I also  finished re-reading Brian's book just before going.

I plan on shooting as many big matches as I can next year and I intend to re-read and remember as much as I can for preparation.  

I posted my experience to help any that cared to read it,  if a better title would improve it feel free to make a change!!!  :)    

I wasn't being critical of the title. My only point was that your lessons are invaluable to everyone. I'd hate to see someone who's shot 10 big matches to skip over your post because they feel like they probably know what you wrote.

Long sentence simply to say I thought the post was excellent. I'll be reading it frequently this year.

JB