Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Powr Extractor Doesn't

Danva

hello all,

I have a PARA LDA 18.9 9mm with the new style power extractor.

It does not extract a case and the slide picks up a fresh round and double feeds.

It will do this 1 -2 rounds out of every mag. not in the same order but on every mag. I am using Win white box and Rem yellow box - same problem.

I took the extractor out and cleaned it and put some break free on the spring and pivot point. It has no shok-buff and I put a new 14lb recoil spring in it. The chamber and breechface look and feel smooth - no burrs that can be seen.

Today it went 12 rounds(1 stage) and started gagging on the next stage. It is the same scenario as last weekend.

Any suggestions or things to look for will be appreiciated.

Thanks,

Danva

Is this a new gun?

I havn't had a problem with one of these yet. Based on the way it is suppoed to work, and on other spring driven extractors it sound like the spring could be weak, or the extractor lip incorrect. Check your extractor tension if you can and the lip of the extractor for correct angle. There are other possibilities I am sure I am missing right this minute.

Also I suggest contacting Para-Ordnance especially if the gun is new...

It isn'nt new but doesn't have many rounds through it either. There are no nicks on the extractor lip and it has enough tension to hold acase on the breechface.

Danva

hello all,

I have a PARA LDA 18.9 9mm with the new style power extractor.

It does not extract a case and the slide picks up a fresh round and double feeds.

It will do this 1 -2 rounds out of every mag. not in the same order but on every mag. I am using Win white box and Rem yellow box - same problem.

I took the extractor out and cleaned it and put some break free on the spring and pivot point. It has no shok-buff and I put a new 14lb recoil spring in it. The chamber and breechface look and feel smooth - no burrs that can be seen.

Today it went 12 rounds(1 stage) and started gagging on the next stage. It is the same scenario as last weekend.

Any suggestions or things to look for will be appreiciated.

Thanks,

Danva

I think I run a 12# spring. Never had this type of problem....

Did not read Benny's reply - I defer to his advise... ;)

it seems that the case doesn't get pulled from the chamber and the slide comes back & strips off the next round from the mag.

when the jam occurs what I see is a fired case in the chamber with a live round most of the way out of the mag jammed in behind it

update on extrction problem

Called PARA and spoke to service. Explained problem and was told that there was nothing I could do but to send it back to them. Tech would not go into detail but seemed familiar with what I was explaining. Said may have to replace extractor or go as far as replacing the barrel. No reason or explanation was given.

As long as they make it work I don't care what they do!!!!

In the ups today.

Will let you all know how it goes

Danva

it seems that the case doesn't get pulled from the chamber and the slide comes back & strips off the next round from the mag.

when the jam occurs what I see is a fired case in the chamber with a live round most of the way out of the mag jammed in behind it

I have a friend that had the same problem. After waiting on Para to repair it for a month, he was told there was some kind of "import issue" for the parts (yeah sounded lke BS to him too). He finally spoke to a guy in the shop who said they do have problems with the design. When he got his gun back, it had a standard slide and a conventional extractor on it. Works fine now.

This is third party info, so take it for what it is.

Carl

He finally spoke to a guy in the shop who said they do have problems with the design.  When he got his gun back, it had a standard slide and a conventional extractor on it.  Works fine now. 

There's a lesson in this... <_<

Unfortunatly, the PXT extractor in the new LDA is problematic in the 9mm caliber. I have(had) a new style PXT LDA limited that had the extraction problems mentioned at the beginning of this thread plus an older style LDA with a conventional extractor. The old one simply runs and is a great gun. The new one went back a couple times to Para Warranty, had the extractor welded and set back .020, extractor replaced, adjusted, etc.. I was getting ready to sleeve the extractor tube which would allow a conventional extractor to be used in place of the PXT extractor when I came upon an older style slide. Replaced the slide and my former jammamatic PXT version retrofitted to old school is now as rock solid as my other PARA LDA. For production class, an LDA makes an awesome gun. Just beware the PXT in 9mm(in my personal experience).